The Essential Bride (2)

I groaned at the sun that shone through my bedroom window and snuggled closer to my warm comforter. My head felt heavy and throbbed around my temples. 'I really should stop drinking...' I thought, but even as it came out I wanted to laugh at myself. I probably would have too if my throat didn't feel dry and scratchy. My whole body ached as I reached above my head and stretched, moaning as my back cracked.

I stared at my pearly white ceiling, trying to think back on how I got into my bed, and rubbed my face roughly. Nothing was coming to mind, I remember running out of the party like Hell was at our heels, but then nothing. I glanced over at my alarm clock, and I had five hours to get ready and be at work. It was already three in the afternoon, my Saturday vanished. I groaned, this was why I hated Friday night parties. The only reason I had even gone to the one last night was because Stephanie had begged me. She didn't work, she didn't understand the very real need to sleep before dealing with ....well she didn't know what I had to deal with. Stephanie probably thought I poured coffee to cute old couples who wanted to enjoy an aged diner but in reality I walked around with a silver tray full of shots of tequila or vodka and swerved whenever middle aged men tried touching my butt in whatever costume I was forced to suffer wearing for that night. 

Grabbing my phone that was conveniently on my night stand, I called my best friend. My best bet was hoping at least she had an inkling of what happened last night. I didn't even drink that much, I can't believe I blacked out. I remember refusing drinks, and pretending I was drinking them when I wasn't ...how did I not remember anything? She picked up on the second ring, sounding exactly how I felt. "Dude, last night was crazy." Her voice sounded hollow and forced. "How hung over are you right now? Honestly, we really should stop drinking."

I coughed out laughter. "I was thinking the same thing, do you have any idea how either of us got home?"

"Not even the slightest, which is half the fun to be honest." I rolled my eyes, sounded like Stephanie, "hey, are you working tonight or can we grab a bite to eat around dinner-" I felt bad lying to my best friend about my actual job, and it's not as if I thought Stephanie would tell anyone... I just couldn't accept the fact that I needed money so bad I was willing to do it.

"Yeah, dinner shift. Maybe if we rushed we could get something now?" I offered, hoping it would help me cope with the constant gnawing I felt lately. Lying to her was getting harder and harder, but I didn't want to have to deal with her opinion, or her hurt feelings by keeping it a secret for nearly two years now.

"I am in no position to get out of the car, but we can hit up McDonalds." I laughed at her words, Stephanie always knew how to make me feel better.

"Better than nothing."

It shouldn't be so routine that Stephanie and I chill in her car in the parking lot of McDonalds, listening quietly to the radio in our pajamas but we had long stopped caring if anyone saw us. She had agreed to drive me to the diner that I 'worked' at right after, so I had a bag of clothing in her backseat. I wasn't excited to get to work, but I knew I would be walking out of there with at least one hundred dollars in tips. College seemed so in my grasp lately, it was exciting.

After Steph dropped me off in front of the diner, I walked into their little mud room and waited for her to drive all the way out of my sight before I started walking down the street to my actual job.

The Pink Panthers Gentleman's Club is exactly what it sounds like. It was a sleazy joint for lonely guys, but they at least dressed it up nice. There were no neon signs of outlines of girls spreading their legs, and no pictures on the outside of half dressed women. It looked like a restaurant, and besides the girls on poles and half-dressed waitresses, it was exactly that. I rushed in, even though it wasn't open yet, I had gotten there forty five minutes early to get ready. Right when I entered, my favorite bouncer Randy laughed at my Tinker Bell pajama bottoms.