The Essential Bride (8)

Out at the cars, I realized everyone wasn't nearly as drunk as me. I stumbled towards my Jetta but everyone instantly started to protest.

"There is no way any of us are letting you drive yourself home. You're barely able to walk." Stephanie protested, attempting to guide me to Patrick's car. All the girls besides I (in case I wanted to bail half way through, which I had debated) rode together in the same car. Patrick had taken his own car, and Stephanie was planning on going back to his house until much later on tomorrow morning. His friends besides Leon were riding back together, and Rose, Carly and Nicole were going back to Roses' house.

Everyone but Stephanie was more concerned with Leon's car than my sobriety.

"Dude, is this your car?" Rose asked, as Scott, Rodger and the one whose name I'd already forgotten said their goodbyes, all saying we would have to do this again sometime.

"Yeah, it's a Lexus LFA." He smiled and rubbed the hood of his car.

"I still can't believe you got this car man, it's insane." Pat said, his voice sounding hollow. No one else noticed, but it was probably because there was a hint of jealousy. "it's a 400,000 dollar car." He pointed out.

"No, it's a 375,000 dollar car. But that doesn't matter, you're never supposed to talk money in front of pretty ladies." All the girls but I and Steph giggled.

"I want to go home." I whined, but in reality I was scared of the next time I would see Leon. I wasn't expecting him tonight, I couldn't exactly question him in a group of ten people and he knew that.

"But Birthday Girl," Carly whined and I made a face.

"I don't feel good."  I insisted, walking towards my car again and unlocking the doors.

"Fine, get your things out of the car. We will leave it here over night and I can drive you back here tomorrow to get it." Stephanie instructed and I rolled my eyes.

"I'll be fine. I'm not leaving my car here." I said, putting my key in the ignition. My engine turned over but didn't start and my heart sank. "Are you kidding me? I just got you checked out, you were fine!" I yelled at my car like it was a person, my head spinning from the alcohol. I could have sworn I hadn't really had that much to drink, I was normally really good about handling my alcohol. 

"Seriously Demetria, I'm not letting you drive home." Stephanie reached into my car and pulled my keys away from me. I glared at her, and jumped out of the Jetta.

"I'm fine! I'm fine!" I insisted, but my head spun a little, making me walk on shaky legs, Leon reached out and grabbed me. I gasped loudly at the heat and sparks that was radiating up my arm.

"I can drive Demetria home. I'm going in that direction anyway." Before I could question how he knew which direction Patrick started talking.

"That sounds awesome. It's like forty five minutes out of everyone's way." No one protested, and I was surprised by that because no one knew who he way, but I took his ride without arguing because all I wanted was answers.

We said our goodbye's and I climbed into Leon's little two door sports car. It smelled like a rich, manly cologne and leather. The seats matched the outside of the car, which was white and red, and were impossibly smooth.

I knew getting in this car was a bad idea; the feeling of danger surrounded me. He started his car and it started with a soft purr. We watched as Pat, Stephanie and the girls left and then Leon sighed heavily.

"I'm sorry I had to do that. I always feel so bad for deceiving you." Leon said, peering down at the steering wheel sadly. I didn't understand how, but I wasn't feeling as drunk as I did ten minutes ago. "I had to let them think you were much more intoxicated than you really were, I had to let everyone assume your car wouldn't start, and I had to pretend to be longtime friends with those pigheaded men... I apologize. I wish we could start on a better foot." Leon explained, and I sat there wordlessly, clear minded, and entirely confused.