The Essential Bride (23)

"I would say 'you know I hate surprises' but I'm not sure you actually know that or not, but at least now you do." I pointed out to Leon, while slouched in his passenger seat of his way too fancy car, munching on pretzel gold fish. I looked at him expectantly, but all he did was smile down at me. It had been so long since I sat in this car, getting out and getting fresh air, I'd be happy going out for a simple drive. I'm basically a dog at this point. Still Leon absolutely refused to tell me where he was taking me. The entire time I was getting ready, Leon was lounging in my bed scolding me for taking so long.

"I would say 'I hate when you chew so close to me because you sound awful' but we could be at the manor, you could be rooms away and I'd still hear your loud chewing." Leon mocked me, making me roll my eyes.

"I get that that was probably a joke about how loudly I chewed but honestly it just came across like you were bragging about  some special ability you have, super hearing or whatever I'm unimpressed." I pointed out and making Leon laugh.

"If I was going to brag about something, it wouldn't be my hearing." The waggle in his eyebrows made me realize he probably was joking about something I didn't want to think about. 

"Gross, we've talked about this." I groaned, "you've been watching too much TV with me." I complained. 

"The jokes are funny Demetria."

"You sound like the eleventh doctor trying to convince everyone bow ties are cool." I laughed at him, and Leon looked at me confused. "We'll get to Doctor Who soon, that is an amazing show to binge watch."

"I can't wait," he smiled "but I have to clarify- bow ties are cool."

This day, Leon brought me to a pop up cafe that is in the TV show Friends, Central Perk. He kept joking the entire afternoon that since I had done nothing for a month but watch that show, where I had to point out to him NOT for the first time, I was definitely re-watching the series to his amazement, that I deserved to come here. Honestly, it was exactly like the show, but overly crowded. 

"We don't have to sit on the couch, it's not that big of a deal." I tried convincing Leon as we got our drinks and food, and I was ready to shuffle out from the hoards of people.

"One moment, Ma Cherie." He said, while staring at the wall. Almost immediately people who had finished eating were insisting on leaving, people parted around us, going to the tables that had just cleared and the couch was suddenly empty. I glared at Leon.

"Don't do that crap to people Leon, it isn't fair." I pointed out, my stomach churning. I hated how effortlessly he could make average people bend to his will. It made me remember that there was nothing stopping him from doing that stuff to me, even if he did promise he never would.

"It's just for a short while, no harm, no foul." He stated, guiding me to the couch.

Besides using Thought Reform, the afternoon was kind of peaceful. It was really thought of Leon to bring me to something like this.

***

I hated to say it but the last week flew by and it was because Leon was keeping me busy. Leon hadn't once really left my side unless I was ready for bed and I wasn't complaining. He made time pass and he wasn't being annoying and insufferable which is a huge step for him. I was trying to keep him happy, I didn't want him snapping at me and forcing me to do anything I didn't want to. I didn't think Leon had it in him to actually hurt me, but I couldn't be too sure. I knew nothing about him besides the small glimpses he shared with me.

"How come you can know everything there is to know about me, but I can't know anything about you?" I finally asked as we were laying in the living room area I had claimed as my own. I swear the couch learned my body in these cushions.