The Essential Bride (22)

Outside of the kitchen is a small closed in deck, keeping the sun out. I didn't want to think about why they would need something like that, tried to pretend I wasn't living in a house full of creatures a few months ago I didn't even believe in. Pretending is very hard though.

In the closet full of clothing I didn't pick out, a pair of sneakers didn't exist. I had a million pairs of yoga pants and not a single pair of running shoes. Did no one understand what the real point of those pants are?

I was wearing yoga pants, a baggy sweatshirt to keep out the chilly air, and no shoes on my feet. I didn't bother looking behind me as I left the covered porch and felt the warm sun on my face. I closed my eyes and let it sink in to me, taking in a few deep breaths before my morning run. I hadn't jogged since being here, but I was getting antsy in this place. I would go to sleep with my legs aching because I was stationary all day.

I felt the dirt on my feet, uncomfortably digging in, and enjoyed it before I took off running. I don't usually run, period, and I definitely don't run without socks and shoes and my phone to listen to music. But this morning I could hear birds chirping and the wind and I loved it.

I ran along the path that led around the massive house, before turning away from the garage and running down the driveway. I wished I knew of a trail around here that I could run, something less open then their driveway in the middle of a field covered by hedges. I focused on the sound of my dewy, wet feet slapping against the pavement, enjoying the burning sensation from running barefoot.

My breathing was staggered, it made me realize how out of shape I was. I needed this though, I needed to run. I was cooped up there all day, all I wanted was the sun, but even behind these hedges I was cast in a deep shade. Everything was shared over and it drove me insane.

Being in the sun was uncomfortable for them, but they could manage for a few hours. I didn't understand it, I didn't bother to even try to.

All I wanted to do was run, run where? I didn't try to think about that either.

As I hit the end of the driveway, I was literally swept off my feet. I felt all the air leave my lungs as I was pulled back, gently floating through the air to the pavement. My feet burned under me, hands softly held me as I thudded to the pavement, uncomfortably banging my elbow but I didn't care.

I tried to fill my lungs enough to scream as a body shifted on top of me. Everything was happening to quickly around me, faster than my brain could even process it. All I wanted to do was scream, this reminded me of the bathroom, with Zachary, how helpless I felt. It reminded me out there people were mad at Leon, mad enough to use me against him. What was I thinking running?

Suddenly my entire body was ignited, warm, fuzzy, heart fluttering and I immediately recognized who was touching me. It was like my body needed a moment to catch up with what was happening, but when it did the fright melted out of me.

With one hand Leon held my hands above my head, his other hand cupping my cheek. Our faces were inches apart, his torso pressing into mine, my heart was going to explode well without my permission. The fireworks happening throughout my body were not my own wishes. I didn't mean to feel this way. I felt his body press into mine, his face getting closer.

At least in this situation I prefer Leon over anything else that could be around here.

"Demetria. What are you thinking?" Leon hissed, I didn't answer his question because I didn't think he really meant it as a question and because I was still struggling to breathe. I also don't think he was asking about the things I was thinking right now, which was how good it felt to have him this close to me, his heavy breathing had my mind going wild. "Running? Running away? You are bare foot Demetria. How far do you think you could have gotten? We have spoken about this." Leon sounded very angry, more angry with me than he's even been. My heart pulled, aching in my chest and I tried to ignore it.