Home

Chapter 6 – Home

Harry was gone when Draco got up, but Shadow and Gus were in his bed, sleeping right next to him. He didn't want to know what that meant. Shadow had been comforting him last night, too. He didn't want the krup to bond with him, too. Gus, however, sought his immediate attention as soon as he woke up. Shadow watched protectively. Draco wondered if he was just watching him for Harry.

"Alright... maybe we can find some lunch downstairs?"

Gus and Shadow jumped up and wagged their forked tails, excitedly. Draco led them down to the kitchen and opened the icebox door. There were several plates inside of dinners that Draco hadn't eaten. He felt guilty wasting the food, so he took out two plates and went to the stove. He had watched Harry and the cooks at the bar cook, so he just poured them into a pan and turned it on. Not too hard, he thought as he stirred it. When it was all hot, he turned off the pan and brought it to the table.

Kreacher appeared, and Gus and Shadow barked loudly at the noise. "Master Draco! What are you doing? I make you lunch!"

"Sorry, I just made the plates that Harry left for me," he said.

"But... but Master Draco doesn't have to! You is too noble! Master is a Black and doesn't have to cook! Kreacher will make him food!"

"Sorry, Kreacher. I'm not an important anything anymore. I lost everything. I don't have a home or a galleon to my name. I've been sleeping on the muggle streets. I'm not deserving of any special service."

"But you is one of the sacred twenty-eight! A pureblood!"

"Kreacher, that doesn't matter to me anymore."

"No! But... but you're a Malfoy and a Black! The last of your name!"

"Yes... and I'm going to be the last one. My family name will die with me. There's nothing you can do to stop that, Kreacher. I'm a muggle, now. No one is going to want me, and I can't provide for a family. My family deserves to end for what they have done."

Kreacher's big eyes started watering, and he ran away crying. He felt a little guilty, but the elf needed a wake-up call. He was vermin in the eyes of everyone else and didn't deserve to be treated like a saint by him. He poured the food onto a plate and picked at it. The krups were at his side, eagerly watching him. Shadow was whining and clawing at his leg. His pup was sitting and waiting patiently.

"Nuh nah, Shadow. Behave. I'm not Potter. You see your brother is sitting quietly," he said to the pup.

Shadow, like he understood, sat down and stopped whining. He tilted his head.

Draco laughed. "Well, you are cute, aren't ya? And you listened." He picked a piece of roast beef and gave some to both of them. "Now, shush. Let me eat, and you'll get more." They did and he finished his meal. He gave them their treat and took his plate and stuff to the sink. He frowned and knew that Potter could clean them with a spell, but he didn't want to leave a mess.

Draco found the cleaning supplies under the sink. He washed and dried the dishes and then figured out where they went in the cupboards. Then he looked at the counter. Spells only cleaned so much, and he pulled out a strong stripping detergent to really get the grease and dust off. Working at the pub, he had learned what chemicals were the best and got to scrubbing, getting decades of oil and dust out off the counters, cupboard doors and sink.

He didn't stop there and cleaned the insides of the cupboards, too, and put the stuff back. It looked ten times better and smelled great. He wiped down the table with a wood cleaner and then the chairs and bench, too. He then pulled out a broom and called for the krups to get their toys out from under the table and chairs. They actually listened, and then both sat in the doorway to the den, watching him sweep, mop and then get down to scrub the floor with the stripper.