Family

Chapter 7 – Family

Published: 5/22/22

Dinner had been a quiet affair. Hermione had tried to get him to talk about what he had been doing, but he didn't feel comfortable talking it to anyone but Harry. She also asked about his mother, his only real family left, and he said that it had been a long time since he received a letter. He didn't have an address, and the owls will avoid muggles. So when she offered to send hers over tomorrow, he profusely thanked her.

After that, Harry and Weasley ended the awkward small talk by telling him about their recent cases. It was easier to talk about potion smuggling and cauldron thefts. Weasley and Granger didn't stay too long after dinner, as though sensing it had been a difficult night for everyone. Weasley shook his hand and thanked him for what he had said to his wife. Draco only nodded, but Hermione hugged him, again, before she left. He could barely say goodbye to her. Gus was pawing at his knee, desperate to reassure him. He wasn't sure where his feelings were, when he followed Harry mutely up the stairs.

"Draco? Are you okay?" Harry said, quietly.

"Yeah... it was rough... I mean, talking about Theo."

"I'm sorry. I wish I could have known him. Hell, I wish I could've known any of your friends."

"Yeah..." he said, glancing down the stairs and remembering Hermione's hug of friendship... or more. They were Harry's family.

"Draco?" Harry asked, a little concerned.

"She... they were so nice, even after everything I did."

"Forgiveness is divine, Draco. You apologized and they accepted it. It's behind us. Please trust that they, and I, forgive you for everything. Maybe we should just start over? The past is the past, and I won't ever hold it against you."

Draco nodded, but still seemed shaky. "Thanks. I... umm... goodnight...."

"Goodnight, Draco."

Draco went into his room and curled under his blankets. Gus licked his nose before settling next to him. He mulled over what had happened. His uneasiness grew as he couldn't wrap his head around this notion of acceptance. How could anyone even want to be friends with him? Gus whimpered, sensing his thoughts, but Draco just closed his eyes and let the tears hit his pillow.

In his dream, Voldemort was watching him. He tried not to look at the evil-snake man, but his eyes would always flick over to him eventually. When he did glance at the thing, it came over, practically floating like some kind of cursed apparition. Draco tensed as his unnaturally long fingers caressed his face.

"Draco," the half-being purred. "You want to prove your loyalty to me, don't you?"

"He will do anything you desire, my lord," his aunt declared.

"I know he will. Any son of Lucius and Narcissa will do anything I want, won't you?"

Draco couldn't speak as he felt the snake brush against his leg, but he didn't answer him fast enough.

"I think another round... shall loosen your tongue. Crucio!" he hissed.

Draco dropped to the floor, riddled with pain. After Voldemort released him, he pleaded, "Yes, master! I'll do anything, please! I'm sorry!"

He tensed as the giant snake slithered toward him rapidly before stopping in front of his face on the floor. Its forked tongue licked his nose, and all he could do was look into its slitted eyes in complete terror. He froze, knowing it was venomous, and that the Dark Lord could easily tell her to kill him with one bite and eat him... hopefully after he was dead.