Marriages

(A/N: sorry I'm late. Today is the first day of Ramadhan and I had things to do.

Who doesn't love weddings? *inserts The Office 'Stay Calm' meme*)

LONDON, EARLY SUMMER 1522

Italic - Spanish

Richard and Freja parted ways at the church. Freja went to see the bride and Richard went to see the groom.

Freja, Mary Rose and their ladies entered the room to find Catherine speaking to her nieces, Eleanor, Isabella and Maria, arrived with their brothers a day prior. Catherine wanted to wear the dress she had worn on her last two marriages, but Freja refused her request, instead, she and Lina made her a new one.

Catherine was wearing white and pink dress, fashioned to the same style as the new queen. Her dressed was stitched with gold and pearls. It looked almost similar to her old wedding dress, but it was hand made, with newer cloths and pearls and gold threads.

Astrid Katheryn and her cousin Mary stepped forward and presented to Catherine a beautiful bouquet of flowers - white roses mixed with sprigs of lavenders and orange daisies. Catherine smiled and kissed their little heads.

"Lady mother, are you happy?", asked Little Mary.

Catherine didn't know how much her six year old daughter understood all this. Freja gently patted her head.

"Don't worry, when she's older, she will understand", Freja smiled.

"Yes, Mary. I am happy", Catherine smiled at her daughter.

MEANWHILE

Richard and the privy council stood before the groom. Henry Stafford pinned the white rose to his father's tunic.

"A dashing man", Seymour complimented.

"Not as dashing as I am", Richard snickered, almost earning himself a slap.

"You're lucky you're the king, cousin", said Stafford.

The door opened and entered a young soldier named William Stafford, a distant cousin of the groom. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but Her Grace Queen Freja asked me to tell you that the bride is almost ready".

"Thank you, William", said Stafford.

Richard stepped up. "Nervous?", he asked.

"Not my first", said Stafford and the men laughed.

"Now, lads. Let's get Stafford to his bride", said Richard, shoving Stafford out of the door.

*

Catherine stood outside. Her nephew, Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, King of Spain, Lord of the Netherlands and Duke of Burgundy, smiled at his aunt.

"He is not a prince, lady aunt", said Charles, referring to Stafford.

"I know, but I'm far too old to be politically useful to you. I would like to retire and live the remainder of my life in peace. With Eduardo, I can watch over Mary and be closer to her", said Catherine.

"I am thankful that father was related to him. I admire the new king. He is a sensible man. He even took care of you, out of his own pocket no less. I told him I will pay him off, but he wouldn't let me. It's very odd, but I can see why people love him".

Catherine smiled. "If you have seen all that he has gone through, you would understand. He suffered so much, Carlos, so much and it breaks my heart to know that. He has gone out of his way to ensure of my happiness and asks for nothing in return".

"You don't find a man like him every century", Charles chuckled.

(#Iunderstoodthatreference)

The door opened and Charles offered his arm. Catherine took her nephew's arm and Charles led her to her new husband.

Freja offered her handkerchief to her husband before Reginald Pole started the ceremony. Richard gladly took it and wiped his tears away.

"I pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride, Your Grace", said Reggie.

Stafford kissed her, this time with no hesitation and no one can threaten him. Catherine could feel her heart fluttered and it was for sure she was blushing, as if this was her first time.

The reception was held in Westminster Palace. People, from noblemen to commoners outside, drank, danced and celebrated the union.

Meg and her children, accompanied by Lord Stewart and his men, arrived to celebrate as well. Meg congratulated the bride, knowing how happy Catherine looked on this blessed day.

Catherine never stopped smiling that day. She felt happy after what it seemed for a long time.

Henri, as usual, asked his cousin and soon to be bride, Princess Mary to dance with him. Ragnar, with the help of William Smyth, was busy trying to snatch a tray of Scottish sweet buns away from the table while Astrid Katheryn, Margaret Douglas, Eleanor and Frances Brandon were dancing together.

Mary Rose approached the table and curtsied to her brother. "My king, would you care to dance?", she smiled.

Richard smiled back and got up. "Who am I to refuse you?".

"You never say no to her, husband", Freja giggled.

"Sister", Mary Rose curtsied to Freja, "I'll only borrow him for this dance".

At the end of the day, the king and queen sent the happy couple off to Baynard Castle, where Richard decided to lend to the newlyweds for the night. Catherine wanted to take Mary with her, but Freja urged her to let Mary stay.

"You just got married. Don't worry about Mary, we'll take care of her. Spend the night and get to know each other", Freja smiled.

"Don't worry, lady mother. I will be fine", said Little Mary.

Mary waved them goodbye. Richard sighed, happy for the couple.

"Now, who wants a bed time story?", he asked as he turned to face the children.

BEDFORD, END OF SUMMER 1522

Drew groaned as he was fitted into a new set of clothes. "Why am I subjected into this shit?", he asked.

"Because you're getting married", Richard smiled.

"But you didn't do this to Sarah!".

"Because I was already pregnant", Sarah gave a smug, "Besides, I don't like big celebrations, so basically that was the point - getting pregnant first so when I have to marry, my wedding is just small and among us".

"That's not fair", Drew groaned again.

"I gave my word that we will celebrate and we shall celebrate", said Richard.

"You think you're king, you can make the decision, huh?", Drew scowled.

Richard laughed for a moment. "Basically, yes".

Drew gave in and just went along with it. Earlier, the three of them, plus Robyn and young William, went to visit William's grave. Sarah showed her son where his grandfather was buried and young William placed a single white rose for his grandfather.

Richard looked up and smiled. "We did it, William. Thank you", he whispered to the sky.

Drew used his mother's ring to make Celia his wife. His father's ring now rest on Sarah's finger.

Freja also made the dress for Celia, a wedding gift for the person who had helped to look after her children. Richard gave them his London apartment as a gift, so they could have a place of their own near the palace.