Future Rulers

(Henri weds his cousin)

WESTMINSTER PALACE, SPRING 1530

Catherine woke up to find Stafford still asleep. She ran her fingers through his dark locks that were greying.

Stafford stirred before waking up. He smiled and snuggled closer.

"How many more days?", he asked.

"The wedding? Three days", she answered.

"I wonder how they will take it".

"Mary seems happy".

"Oh yes, she is. The way she would always look at him?", Stafford chuckled.

Catherine propped herself up with one arm. The sun peaked through the curtains and made her hair glowed.

"I'm the luckiest to have you in my arms", he smiled.

Catherine giggled and kissed him. "We must be up soon, my lord".

"We can stay in for another hour or two", said Stafford as he pulled her in his arms.

MEANWHILE

14 year old Ragnar entered his brother's chamber to find him in his prayer corner. Ragnar kissed the cross around his neck and knelt next to his brother.

"You're getting married", said Ragnar.

Henri simply hummed. Ragnar looked at his brother, who was a bit in distress.

"Are you not happy?", Ragnar asked.

"You do realise she's only 14 and I'm 19?", Henri finally spoke.

"Well, isn't that normal? We get married at a young age".

Henri sighed. "What if when she gets older..., she fell in love with someone else?".

"Well, have you seen the way she looks at you? I doubt it..., unless someone out there steals her heart".

"You're not helping", Henri glared at Ragnar.

"I'm just telling the truth", Ragnar shrugged.

*

Astrid Katheryn was up early. She had went to the garden to pluck some flowers for the bride to be.

Astrid Katheryn sat in her chambers and began her work. The door opened and Freja entered, followed by Hilda and Lizzie in her arms.

"Look mama, isn't it pretty?", Astrid Katheryn asked.

"Yes, it is and I'm sure Mary will love it", Freja smiled.

"Must I marry too?".

"Yes, my dearest daisy. As hard it is to let you go, you have a duty to England now".

"But, if I marry Ivar, I have to go there, right?".

"Well, you can always visit", Freja sat next to her.

"But I'll miss you, and papa..., and Lizzie and everyone!".

"I left Sweden when I was 16 to marry your father. We all make sacrifices for our country because it is our duty".

"Why can't I marry someone close to home?", Astrid Katheryn pouted.

"One day, you will understand", Freja kissed her golden hair.

Richard, who was hiding behind the door, leaned against it. He understood her worries. He would miss his dearest daisy, but she is now Princess of England. She will understand one day.