Book One: Chapter 12

Horde strolled through the corridor toward his count sorcerer's chamber. He pushed the double stone door open and entered the empty dark room. Without windows, the darkness bloomed except for the green spectrum shimmering at the center. Mondi stood toward a black cauldron where the strange green light gleamed. The tall white monkey man held his palms over the green smoking liquid with his eyes closed, chanting in his own magical tongue.

"Did they find her?" Horde asked.

Mondi dipped one long finger into the green water, keeping his eyes closed. "Yes, my chief. They brought her to their secret lair."

Horde smirked.

He knew placing the tracking spell mark on the human would indeed help him find the Brave Blood Clan. After he finally defeats his enemies and takes the Star Crystal, nobody will stand in his way. "Where is their hideout?"

Mondi opened his eyes. "On a beach inside a ruined vessel. It will take only one day to reach there on foot."

Chief Horde smiled. "Then I better prepare my army for war. This time, Barry will not escape from me."

*****

Jenny watched the moon while sitting next to her father on the carrier's deck edge. A little breezy and dark, but the moon glimmered beautifully. Jenny wasn't afraid of the dark ocean, as long as she sat next to her father.

All-day, she told him about her life after his accident. Jenny and her mother moved to the countryside to live with her grandparents at their farm. Jenny's mother needed to move because New York gave her too many terrible memories about Barry's death. If her mother knew Barry was alive, she would be happy with deep relief.

Jenny left the countryside when she enrolled in college. Because she enjoyed writing articles and reporting news, she took a journalism degree, giving her an opportunity to become a reporter. To get a job, she moved back to New York, leaving her parents behind. It took her a while, but she got the job at the Daily News Network studio; one of the popular news studios in the center. Her boss never allowed her to report her own stories, no matter how good they were. The studio was only interested in celebrity stories and pure entertainment However, Jenny did her job because she enjoyed her skill.

She sipped her clay wine bottle, letting the spicy lemon flavor slide down her throat. She was glad she drank her father's unique ale. There was so much to tell him about the past.

"I'm surprised you never applied for Thunder Tech," said her father. "You enjoyed building devices when you were little."

Jenny shook her head. Her mind buzzed a bit, because of the perky beverage. "That was only a hobby back then. I never knew what I wanted to be before college. Sometimes it takes time for a person to understand their dream."

Barry smirked. "I understand." He glanced at the sky. "I never thought I would earn a job at Thunder Tech. When I was little, I collected junk and tools to build whatever I imagined. My parents got angry at me for taking their stuff. So they gave me plastic construction toys to keep me busy." Barry chuckled and sipped his wine. "Science became my favorite education in school. The class helped me learn how to build things and understand how it works. My first science project was a mini power collider. It was supposed to generate particle energy for a lamp, but the device exploded, nearly setting the gym on fire. But nobody got hurt."

He laughed. "I lost the competition, but ironically Walter Freeman arrived and told me my project impressed him."

Jenny raised one eyebrow. "Really?"

"I asked him why, and he said sometimes failure can lead you to success. He wanted to help me improve, believing I can bring success to his corporation. I accepted his offer and transferred to the Thunder Tech Institute for Training and Discovery. The institute has a better training deportment than high school and significant benefits too. I wouldn't have an awesome career if it weren't for Walter."

Jenny wished her job was outstanding, like her father's. But both their jobs were opposite with different bosses. Walter must be more friendly to Barry than how Mr. Coleman treated Jenny. "Do you believe our lives will return to normal when we return home?"

Barry sighed. "If we can return home..... But I believe we can adapt to anything. We can only wait until it happens."

Jenny agreed to him too. All they could do was wait.

Barry yawned. "I think we should rest now. Tomorrow, I will decide your role here and train you how to fight. In this world, reporters are obsolete."

"I agree." Jenny rose and stretched her arms out. "I'll figure out my new role here. Good night."

Barry nodded. "Sweet dreams."