Book Three: Chapter 10

While Jenny and her friends rode on their mounts through the sandy plains, Basju kept chatting about his life story. The white monkey man grew up in the jungle, which grew in the desert before it dried out. He left his tribe to start his own life without dying of thirst. To survive, he joined a bandit guild that taught him how to steal. Then he met a sorcerer who taught him to speed magic to help the sorcerer rob something. After the guild broke up, Basju wandered around, using his tricks to take whatever he needed. "I kept telling everyone I am a trickster, not a thief."

"But you still rob people," said Zena, riding next to Huntar.

Basju sat behind the lion. Each York could carry two riders without breaking their backs. One heavy rider, sought as Torag, was good enough too.

"Tricksters are cunning. Thieves are sheathy," Basju explained. "There is a difference."

Zena shrugged. Apparently, she didn't care what the differences were to Basju. A thief is a thief.

Jenny narrowed her eyes, studying what lay ahead. A tall mountain rose across the plain horizon. The cliffs looked steep, but Jenny wasn’t close enough to observe the details.

Jenny pointed her finger at the mountain range. "Is the village behind there?"

Basju held his hand over his beaming eyes. "I think so. The merchants said the village is hidden within the canyon. We should be heading in the right direction."

"So, there is a gap?" Zena asked.

Basju nodded. "Indeed. Your mounts should pass through it."

That was a relief for Jenny. The weather was too hot for climbing.

"Alright, let’s move on." Jenny allowed Huntar to take the lead into the canyon first. With his heightened senses, he can warn the group before anything tries to ambush them.

Through the narrow opening, the sky faded as shadows grew around them, as if nightfall had arrived early. The steep walls were separated enough to allow the riders and their mounts to pass through without clustering them together. Yellow rocks slid by, not big enough to crush anyone.

Jenny and her friends kept riding on, twisting and turning through each gap. She wanted to question the monkey, but her instincts told her to trust him. As far as she could see, they still trekked west on the correct path. Above her, the sun stood overhead, pushing the shadows away from the snaking gap. 

Suddenly, Huntar stopped his York and raised his left fist up. 

"What is it?" Zena asked, hoarsely.

Huntar sniffed the air. "Do you smell that?"

Basju pointed his nose up and sucked the air into his nostrils. "Hmmmmmm! Charcoal wood?"

"Aye, yes. But much more. We should be close now."

"But what should I do?" Jenny asked. "Are they friendly to humans?"

Basju glanced at her. "Humans are rare in these parts. They might not find you friendly."

Zena pulled out a wooden cloak and tossed it toward Jenny. "Here! Put that on!"

Jenny caught the cloth and gazed at it. "But I will sweat to death in this!"

"It's for your own good, Jenny," said Huntar. "And don't stare at anyone."

Jenny rolled her eyes and slid the brown cloak on. Maybe sweating was better than getting kidnapped for slavery.

After five more turns and through a dark tunnel, they reached an open valley surrounded by tall escarpment walls. A large village settled against the steep walls in cool conditions. Tents with ripped fabrics lined along dusty paths that didn’t look like streets. A few naked coyote cubs wrestled in the dirt while their elders glared at the newcomers. They all looked filthy and skinny to the bone.

Jenny gulped as she kept her hood over her head. "Are you sure this is the right place?"

"I heard this is a merchant settlement," Basju whispered. "But I don't see any vendors here."

"All I see is filth and abandoned tents," Zena mentioned.

Huntar sighed. "We should move forward from here. I don't like the looks we are getting, especially when we have a human with us. Don't touch or speak to anyone until we are as far beyond as possible."

Zena glared at the monkey. "You heard him, Basju. Don't ‌steal anything."

Basju snickered. "Don't worry. I see nothing valuable here. Heeheehee."

Jenny noticed a column of smoke behind the settlements. Whatever the villagers were cooking, she didn't want to know.

Suspicious eyes from the shadows followed them. Eyes aiming at their mounts, weapons, and the mysterious girl in the hood. But none of them dare to approach the six strangers in broad daylight. 

Straight ahead, Jenny spotted the villagers gathering around an event. No wonder half of the village was empty. "What’s going on over there?"

Huntar gazed at the cheering crowd and smiled. "Let's find out."