Chapter 1

It was a cold night in New York, I look around to see flowers, and candles surrounding the banquet hall, there was a cute little group of classical musicians playing softly in the corner of the room, men mingling in their three-piece suits and wom...

It was a cold night in New York, I look around to see flowers, and candles surrounding the banquet hall, there was a cute little group of classical musicians playing softly in the corner of the room, men mingling in their three-piece suits and women in their elegant gowns. It is a lot classier of a crowd than what I'm used to, but it was for a good cause, plus it's the off-season for hockey so why not do something good for others. There were women beautifully dressed to my left and right, a few catching glances at the guys and I but we weren't really interested in the attention, James and I were pretty much standing around to people watch, and of course, as always, we would always end up catching the attention of those women who were obviously spoken for but it didn't stop them staring at us with hunger in their eyes, it was flattering and also made me chuckle as some would look my way with such obviousness in their eyes. I kept my manners since in this room there were some pretty important people in attendance and they might be married to one of them.

Usually, I wouldn't really be at parties like this. Still, on behalf of my brother-in-law Danny, I knew it was a pretty profound subject with him and a good message to be involved with, so when he asked for my help along with James and a few more guys from his team and mines couldn't resist or turn him down.

We donated some of our time to help with some hockey clinics to raise money for the foundation and did a few visitations with fans in hospital visits to put a smile on our fan's faces for The American Cancer Association. Since it was a close subject to his heart losing his mother from cancer, he's always been involved in helping in any way he could. along with my sister, and it was admirable of him to continue such a legacy on behalf of his mother's fight against such a terrible sickness.

Ever since he started dating my sister and eventually the two getting married, I've seen a side of Danny Callister that I would never have expected in a good way. I honestly think my sister chose well with him, even though I wouldn't admit that out loud. once she finds out that I actually like him and see him as a brother, she will be the one to nag me and rub in my face how my harsh protective-ness was unnecessary growing up. But it was that protectiveness that kept her safe and led her to Danny, so in a way, I'm waiting for my thank you. I thought to myself slyly, yea, that is the story, and I'm sticking to it.

James and I were seated at the bar drinking scotch and still immersed in people watching, being surrounded in the environment of the rich and wealthy. Most of the people here have some kind of involvement and ties with the association, some donators, investors, politicians, and some other celebrities that were a part of the multiple fundraising initiatives.

There were also families of patients that have been helped and treated by the efforts of the association. We met a few kids on those hospital visits in Nashville since they were eye-opening to people like me. I've grown up in a big family, all of us relatively healthy aside from the broken bones we would get from the sports we played and the occasional cold or flu me or my siblings would get during certain seasons of the year.