Chapter 3

After the gala I headed back to the hotel it was  such a draining night at that stuffy dinner, I went to change into denim Jeans and a black silk halter top blouse that exposed my back just a bit with black high heels

After the gala I headed back to the hotel it was  such a draining night at that stuffy dinner, I went to change into denim Jeans and a black silk halter top blouse that exposed my back just a bit with black high heels. Courtney and I found a little place that served food and beer, as we stepped inside the establishment it was a place that felt welcoming and full of life with music playing and it was nice.

We decided to stay and enjoy the rest of the night in each other's company on the other side of the pub, we saw that there was a bar and dance floor, we were shown to a little wooden table and took our seats taking in the music and people chattering around us and afar, while we waited for our order of Fish and chips I filled in Courtney on how crappy my day has been and after she was caught up our fish and chips were on the table while she signaled the waiter for 2 more beers and a set of shots.

"Wait, let me get this straight; your dad said he was handing over the foundation to you after this event if it's a success?" She eyes me curiously, and I nod back "yup," I responded, " and then he told you that you're now practically in an arranged marriage? The media will freak out. When are you going public with this news?" She says with a raised tone," my father said that he is giving us 6 months to get to know each other and then we will release an announcement," I said with all  irritation in my tone," wait and to add to all this chaos, your dad partnered you up with some hockey player to help you with your make it or break it an event for the foundation?" Her eyebrows raised at me, and her shiny blue eyes filled with anticipation with my answer.

"Answers are Yes on all of those questions! Ugh, what am I going to do, Court? If school wasn't such a headache already, now this event adds more pressure to my already stressed out life and now a damn engagement to a guy that is the furthest from my type!" I croon in despair at our table as I reach over for another piece of French fry, trying to eat all my sorrows away.

"I'm so sorry dear friend, this does suck, and I feel for you but another question, that athlete, is he at least hot?" She says with a hint of playfulness in her tone, in her way trying to cheer me up. " Ugh, why would that matter anyway? He exuded arrogance like I'm better than y'all pheasants athlete confidence, standing in his tux that hugged his body stupidly well it was annoying, and now I have to deal with him and my apparently soon to be husband" I groan loudly, and my best friend is now lightly chuckling at me.

"I'm sorry Lex I don't mean to laugh but it's just only you would always find the weirdest situations to be in, oh wait Who is this suitor ? Future hubby? The man who's gonna change your last name anyway? Does my family know him?" Courtney asks right before she takes a drink of her beer.

"Yup, anyone who's in our inner circle knows their family, hell anyone on both east and west coast knows their them, You know David Adams, with Adam's real estate corporation his oldest son Lionel is the lucky guy," I say rolling my eyes with every ounce of sarcasm I could muster, and I hear her let out a laugh " oh wow, wait, the oldest son? Oh, that's right, he's the only son left that isn't married. His other 2 sons are all posh, settled down with their very well-bred wives from good families, my family attended both weddings" she says after another swig of her beer "well-bred? So is that what I am then, you make me sound like a racehorse?" I scoff at the description she just said.