treinta y dos

A Year Ago

"You know I'm gonna keep bugging you until you tell me the truth."  Mariposa stated from behind Olivia, finally catching up to her at lunch under a tree.  For the past few months, Mariposa has noticed changes in her best friend, and somehow she's the only one that noticed.  At first, she too brushed it off, thinking it was just hormonal changes, teenage angst or just another case of a high schooler trying to find their style.  It wasn't until Olivia started acting out, her actions becoming reckless, when Mariposa started snooping around for answers.

"For the last time, nothing is going on.  Would you hop off my case?  I don't get why you're searching for something that clearly isn't here."

"Your little 'I'm fine's and "Nothing's going on" may have everyone here fooled, but I know you better than anyone.  You can try to push me away all you want, I'm not stopping until I figure put why my best friend is suddenly a completely different person."  Mariposa ranted, looking at Olivia exasperatedly, not understanding her sudden behavior change, especially since they just started sophomore year.  "You don't think I've noticed you skipping our study dates and your grades falling?  Or how you're a bigger party animal than JJ now?  Or the fact that you either get 30 minutes of sleep or 12 hours?  Or how you continue to get blackout drunk at every party we go to?  I can keep going, but my point is that I'm worried about you, Liv.  As your best friend, I just want to help you, but I can't do that if you won't even talk to me about what's wrong."

Olivia was extremely taken back by how observant Mariposa was and how she actually payed attention despite volleyball and a now having a boyfriend.  "Nothing's wrong."

Present Day

"Let me see the sobriety medallion

"Let me see the sobriety medallion."  Mariposa begged, somewhat whining, as she laid on Olivia's bed.  "I have legal rights to see your sobriety award."

"It's a medallion, not a child in a custody battle."  Olivia laughed.  Nonetheless, she walked to her dresser which had her jewelry box on it. 

Because of how special it was, Olivia kept the medallion in one of the more empty compartments and picked it out to show Mariposa.  Mariposa gasped in excitement and sat up with her hands held out to see it.  "I'm so proud of you."  Mariposa said in pure adoration.

Olivia nodded, watching Mariposa mess around with the one year sobriety award.  "I know, you told me like 16 times at lunch alone, and like 50 times in the hallways yesterday."

"I'm just letting you know. Now let me kiss you." As usual, Olivia started shaking her head rapidly like she was scared while Mariposa started nodding her own head rapidly. 

Within seconds, Olivia was running out of the room and downstairs, Mariposa just a few feet behind her.  The two sprinted pass Jordan and his bowl of cereal before Mariposa tackled Olivia and the two bounced onto couch and then landed on the floor. Jordan peered over out of curiosity and watched as Mariposa forcefully pressed her lips onto Olivia's face.  "That's not very consent of you."  He commented.  Olivia then glared at him for insinuating such a thing before she relaxed and let Mariposa kiss her face obviously loud.  "Don't have sex on the floor."