15

When I was at work I'd used my first break to find the DA's office number and call him to see why he was even eligible for a hearing so soon.

I of course didn't get through but made an appointment to see him with the receptionist, before the Christmas break.

Which again... I'd probably be spending alone.

"You can celebrate with me and Rick, they're having a party at the station- maybe you'll meet an even better pass time." She offered, sending me a wink.

I sent her a grin, but truly doubted I'd find anything or anyone more talented than Rio.

He had a way of reading my body and drawing out the perfect reactions.

I missed him. And the longer I went without hearing anything, the more worried I was. I knew something had happened.

By the time Christmas came around my parents had guilt tripped me into spending it with them.

"I'm just glad you made it, your father has missed you." My mom shut the sweet potatoes into the oven.

"I know." I drew in a sigh. "I've missed you guys too. I wish you were closer." I shrugged as I mixed the pumpkin puree for the pie.

"You could always transfer to the courthouse here. I have a friend that works security-"

"Mom." I shook my head.

"Si, si, lo ." She raised her hands in surrender.

"Lo siento, Mom, te amo- pero..." I shook my head, apologizing.

"I get it." She shrugged. "I didn't want to leave either, but I'm glad I did."

"I just feel at home there. I still feel close to Zay." I pushed the pie filling away from me.

"Well I want what makes you happy- even if it's filling your head with a bunch of disgusting violence." She shrugged. I rolled my eyes but laughed nonetheless.

"Thanks for the support."

"How's everything besides work? You still getting out more?"

I watched my mom's quick hands along the counter and bit at my lip.

"Yeah, I was..." I shut my eyes, weighing the options of telling her about Rio. I didn't even know if he was worth telling anyone about anymore, but him and his addicting eyes lived in the back of my mind. I looked up from my mom's still hands to her impatient eyes.

She hated waiting.

"There was this guy I was seeing." I shrugged. "Chris." I used his real name, knowing she'd pry as much information as she possibly could.

"From work?"

"No, I actually ran into him heading to my car after work." I downplayed it with a chuckle. "Then again at a bar."

"What does he do?" She resumed her chopping, obviously sufficed with our meeting.

"He uh..." I furrowed my eyebrows. "He owns a couple of businesses- sort of an entrepreneur."

"Really?" She posted her bottom lip in thought. "Any food establishments?"

I already knew where this was headed. And I would not let Rio climb into bed with my parents restaurant.

"No."

"Check the stuffing." She pointed behind her. "So is he your boyfriend, then?"

Her question shot up my spine, shocking me with the word Boyfriend.