Chapter 3

*Again the picture was found on Pinterest. Credit to the person who posted it. View and comment. Thank you for following on this journey=)*

If someone was going to tell me I have to face a killer animal when I began working there I would have left to find a safer job. Killing three men and tearing a man's throat out like paper is sending haunting nightmares in my mind. 

I sigh for the hundredth time since coming in this morning. Millions of thoughts and images are flashing in my mind of what my fate could be if I get that merman mad. Most of them end up me at the bottom of the tank bleeding with my throat wide open.

I shake my head of those nightmares and head to the closet where the swimming uniforms are. Since my position is upgraded, I have a new outfit to put. It is all blue with some silver streaks at my sides and legs and arms. 

The closet isn't like a janitor's closet it is more like a walk-in closet. There are two dressing rooms in the back of the closet to change our uniforms in case we need to upgrade or take in another position in case an employee gets hurt or sick.

The beginners wear an all-blue tight suit with tags for their name, the volunteers wear blue and pink striped suits showing they aren't actually working with money. 

The regular employees that are working full time red with grey streaks and the positions when dealing with dangerous or new animals is the blue with silver streaks at the side of the arms and legs.

I place my red with grey streaked uniform in the locker while grabbing the blue and silver. I get out of the changing room and out of the closet to head to the freezer. 

The freezer is the third level of this aquarium as we have multiple kinds of fish for all of our ocean creatures. 

The shelves are arranged from small fish for babies and the big salmon for other sea animals.

I get a bucket from the stacked buckets at the right side of the door and fill it with general local fish that we feed newcomers. 

During the time I have worked here, I got used to the slimy feeling of the dead fish.

The door squeaks and I turn at the noise. 

A new employee comes in with slight fear in his eyes.

"It's not as bad as you think it is," I tell him and his tense shoulders relax somewhat. 

The corner of my mouth tugs up in a smirk at the 'ew' that came from the new employee. 

I walk out of that cold place with the newcomer following close behind and running to where he needs to be. I close the door shut with its big silver handle and head to the tank. 

I enter only to see scientists are already there with their pads and pens watching the tank. my gaze follows their observing eyes at the tank. 

 'Squeek' i look up at the stairs to see an idiot slipping in the water with scuba gear on. my eyes widen in alarm! None of us employees are around, he can't go in there. I have to do something!

"Hey, what are you doing?" I shout dropping the bucket and head up the stairs glancing inside the water. 

The scientists seem to be deaf as they don't acknowledge my presence or anything I just asked. I hope John won't blame me for this!

The tank is too deep for me to see anything so I look at the underwater cameras at the corners of the room having a full peek at the idiot being swum around by the creature. 

No.

He slows down his pace of swimming around the scuba diver and halts ready to strike. his deep silver eyes that shine more with the bright lights in this room assess the man, waiting for the precise moment to leap.

Nononono! Nooo! Dammit, Sarah, move!

"No!" I dive in and swim very fast to the idiot guy. 

Thanks to my years of swimming classes and playing as a 'real' mermaid for children's entertainment, my swimming speed has increased.

The merman turns to the noise and watches as I swim to the man's aid. The swimmer has the gear to breathe underwater while I have a limited supply which is my lungs. The swimmer notices the merman doesn't have his attention. the diver follows the merman gaze and looks at me.

I motion with my hands for the swimmer to get back up and out of the tank. He shakes his head and I roll my eyes. 

If this fish-man doesn't kill the scientist, I certainly am close to doing it myself.

I motion to the merman and slice my neck to show the scuba diver, the creature is going to kill him if he doesn't surface. 

The swimmer hesitates but with one nasty glare from me, he nods and starts hovering back out of the tank. 

I flap my hands down to swim up but a cold yet soft hand grabs my wrist attracting my gaze into the merman's eyes.

My hearts start to hammer and my head is screaming for air. My limited air supply is running low and warning bells are ringing loud.

The merman is leaning in but I place a hand on his chest and push him back shaking my head. 

I motion to him that I have limited air supply and need to be out of the tank. He seems to understand so he grips my waist with both hands and swims me up. 

I gasp when I am out of the water. My lungs have never felt so happy for air and it is thanks, supposedly, to the merman who brought me out.

"Sarah, you alright? What were you thinking of going in there?" Mike and John question me concern shining in their eyes. They grab each of my arms and haul me up on the metal bridge.

John, please, don't fire me for doing an idiotic move! No, it is a good move as I saved the scuba man's life! That is got to count on something. Right?

*Hey readers, I wonder what will happen next? 

Will John fire her?

comment and follow along=)*