20

Will's name screamed and rang in Catherine's ears as anxiety ripped apart her stomach. She was not ready to face him when she knew what was to come. She was beginning to worry about her best friend. In her heart, she knew Elizabeth was not of the main concern anymore. It should ease her but it didn't. Her questions about her cousin were answered, but in return, the safety of her best friend was now up on deck.

Fear grew more than she felt it with Elizabeth.

For this time, she knew what these pirates wanted with Will, and she wasn't sure if she could do anything to save him from their grip.

All Catherine knew was that she would risk everything to make sure Will and Elizabeth would see home again.

Then she would kill them herself.

"Let us see the ship, shall we?" Barbossa offered, holding his palms up. Catherine shared a look with her beloved. All three rose from their chairs, making their way out of the captain's quarters and on to the deck of the Pearl.

Barbossa led the way, wanting to see the Interceptor for himself, even Catherine wanted to see the ship with her own eyes.

Jack moved ahead of the group, looking out over the railing as they closed in on the fastest ship in Port Royal.

Continuing to follow Barbossa, Catherine stumbled up the steps to the helm, feeling Jack suddenly close behind her. She stopped beside Barbossa as he looked through the glass at the ship they were quickly approaching. Jack swooped around in front of Barbossa, blocking his sight, making Catherine do a doubletake.

He truly is a strange man.

A strange man who made her blush to the point she couldn't breathe.

A strange man who made her want to kiss him. 

Jack lifted up his fingers as he normally does when he speaks, "I'm having a thought here, Barbossa." He said, causing Barbossa to lower the object in his hand. "What say we run up a flag of truce, my wife and I scurry over to the Interceptor, and I negotiate the return of your medallion? Aye? What say you to that?" Jack flashed a grin, keeping his eyes on the captain before him, fighting his eyes from looking to Catherine.

She raised a brow at her pretend husband, not sure what game he was playing at.

Looking to Barbossa, she waited for his answer, curious to what he'd say.

"I say that's the attitude that lost you the Pearl. People are easier to search when they're dead." Jack's face fell and Catherine's jaw dropped. The captain looked to his quartermaster, "Lock them in the brig."

The quartermaster placed his dark skin hands on both Catherine and Jack's shoulders, pulling them back and pushing them into a walk.

Catherine let out a huff, snapping around to face the incredibly tall man, "Can you please keep your filthy, hands to yourself! I know how to fucking walk, I'm not a child to be pushed around, you big oof!" She pushed him back, marching forward down the stairs.

The quartermaster gripped Catherine's hair, yanking her back, causing a scream out of her. She gripped his hands, digging her nails into his skin.

"GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF HER!" Jack shouted, prying the man's hands off of Catherine.

"Enough!" Barbossa barked, instantly making his quartermaster retract in his actions. "That is no way to treat out guest, is it?" His eyes moved to his man, a wicked smile growing, "Next time she talks back, throw her overboard." Catherine glared at the man, smoothing out her hair, feeling Jack slide his hand around her upper back.