Already Late

I woke up late Monday morning, a bad start to my first day of school. I rushed through my shower and my morning routine.

       I was in the kitchen, waiting for my toast to pop up when I realized that I didn't know who was supposed to take me to school. I rushed out of the kitchen and to the Main Hall, sliding in my socks all the while. As I turned for the staircase, my body altered direction but my momentum was still going in the original direction and I collided with Walter.

       The oldest of the Andersen brothers managed to stay upright, catching me before I made contact with the floor; he held one of my wrists in his hand while the other was on the small of my back. Surprise written all over his face and redness coloring mine.

       “Already making an appointment with the E.R., Jasmine?” Walter teased, reminding me of the multiple times in which I slipped or fell in the last two days. “What’s the rush?”

       “I’m running late! I think Lucas was supposed to take me to school but I don’t know!” I explained, the words just falling out of my mouth.

       “Everyone is already gone. Lucas left twenty minutes ago—the only ones here are Caleb and myself—“

       “Caleb!” I shouted, scrambling free of Walter.

       My voice must have carried all the way up the stairs and down the hall to Caleb's open door because by the time I reached the top of the stairs, Caleb was there and Walter was laughing.

       “You called?” Caleb asked, pushing up his glasses with his index finger.

       “Oh, you heard?” I laughed, embarrassed. “Can I catch a ride to school?”

       “Of course,” he said. “That’s why I’m still here.”

       “Really? That’s really nice of you.”

       “It’s no trouble at all,” he assured me. Caleb checked his watch. “Are you almost ready?”

       I nodded as we both turned for the stairs. “Just need shoes and to eat a quick breakfast.” Saying the word breakfast reminded me of my toast still in the toaster. “My toast!” I ran back down stairs and into the kitchen just in time to see my toast pop up.

       I buttered the crispy slices of bread quickly and by the time Caleb made an appearance, I was already halfway through with the first slice.

       Caleb laughed upon seeing me with bread hanging out of my mouth.

       “Want a bite?” I asked, the slice in my mouth muffling my voice.

       “Sure,” he agreed, biting a corner of the offered toast. Caleb’s eyes flashed to the clock on the microwave. “Get your shoes, we got to go.”

       I nodded, finishing one slice and adding the other to my mouth. As I made my way to the garage, I grabbed my bag from the hook, slipping on my black high-tops. Caleb was right behind me, throwing his bag over his shoulder and twirling his keys around his index finger.

       We entered the garage. This was my first time ever being here. It was large, cement covering the ground, white walls adorned with tools and lights, two large doors serving as exits. It was rather empty of vehicles, only a few left for the remaining residents at home.

       The headlights of the black Volkswagen CC flashed as Caleb unlocked the doors. He tossed his bag over the driver’s seat before looking at me.