Lucas Andersen

Charlotte came bounding toward Zach and I during lunch on Monday, March first. The day was warm and sunny. Spring was fast approaching.

I spent the last several weeks shut up in my room or in the kitchen, avoiding Vincent and Caleb until I figured out how I felt. This was just too much to handle at the moment. I was broken and I needed to fix myself before I could even think about the possibility of a boyfriend. I needed to get over my father’s death and my mother’s neglect. I had to learn to open up. Trusting someone would be difficult again. I was so used to being on my own.

Every day at school, Caleb would spark superficial conversation in class and Vincent would sit with me in photography without talking. Every night at home, I could hear Vincent’s music playing through the secret tunnel and Caleb practiced with his bow outside where I could see him from my window.

For the past few Sundays, when I would walk by the Music Room around four, I could hear the sound of a piano playing.

Vincent was waiting for me to join him.

Caleb wanted me to start the conversation.

Charlotte slammed a piece of paper down on the table in front of me. In big, bold letters it read, CINDERELLA AUDITIONS! MONDAY MARCH 1ST! I looked up at her waiting for an explanation.

“You should audition,” she said plainly. “Zach agrees with me.”

I looked over at Zach for confirmation. He was nodding his head.

“Okay,” I agreed.

They were both surprised. I had been thinking about trying out for one of the school plays since I arrived. Why not try out for Cinderella, a story I could easily relate to.

“I thought we were going to have to twist your arm to get you to agree with this,” Charlotte said.

“I was actually thinking about trying out for it anyway,” I told them. “Why do you guys want me to do it anyway?”

“You were talking just the other day about how much you missed the Theater department at your old school and how sad you were that the one here was too full for you to enter. This is an open try out,” Zach said.

“They start right after school,” Charlotte informed me. “I already signed you up.”

* * *

I arrived at the school’s Theater with Charlotte and Zach—they wanted to watch. Upon arrival, I immediately noticed the presence of Lucas and Vincent standing a few feet away from the main group of students.

            Vincent noticed me almost as soon as I noticed him and smiled at me. I gave a small wave back before looking away.

            That’s when the instructor showed up. She was a short woman with long brown hair, dark skin, and hazel eyes.

            “Okay, everyone, Cinderella opens the second week in May. We have a lot to do in a short amount of time and we don’t even have our players yet! I have one person selected for one job. Vincent Andersen is our Stage Director. Vincent, step forward and let yourself be known,” she spoke. Vincent did as he was told and stepped away from Lucas to wave at the crowd. “In this room, there is no one higher than Vincent and myself. I am Mrs. Robyn. Find a seat and we will begin.

            Charlotte, Zach, and I all sat down in the direct middle of the very front row of seats. Lucas sat on the other side of Zach. Vincent remained on stage.