Motorcycle II

I was in the garage, crouched back on my haunches in front of Fenrir, Vincent’s motorcycle. He was glaring at me with his fierce headlights. I was glaring right back. This thing clearly did not want me to master it. He was okay with one master and one master only and that was Vincent.

            I was in my borrowed leather waiting for Vincent to get back from his time with James—they didn’t tell me exactly what they were off doing. Guys’ time or something like that.

            I watched Fenrir. Silently calling him all of the dirty names I could thing of—ones that applied to motorcycles, anyway. There weren’t very many….

            From my right, Lucas’ motorcycle—which I named Lucifer—watched me with his hateful eyes. I could almost imagine Lucas’ eyes instead of Lucifer’s.

            I silently called that one more dirty names; even ones that did not apply and I told it exactly what I thought of Lucas. How I thought his master was, so unfair, and even cruel. Lucifer just took it without so much as a blink.

            I turned back to Vincent’s Fenrir. I felt that the look he was giving me was one saying that I went to far with the things I said about Lucifer and Lucas. I just rolled my eyes.

            Then I thought about the situation. I was holding a silent conversation with inanimate objects…. This was something a crazy person did, wasn’t it? Was I losing my mind already?

            I shrugged. What did it matter anyway?

            “Jazz… what are you doing?” I could hear Zach ask from behind me.

            “Huh?” I turned my head to face him and I lost my balance, falling on my backside. I quickly got to my feet, rubbing my butt where I hit. Zach just laughed at me. “Oh, hey, Zach,” I greeted. “I’m just telling Fenrir that I will master riding motorcycles….”

            The youngest Andersen raised an eyebrow at me. “You are talking to a motorbike? Please tell me that it isn’t talking back!”

            I laughed. “That would be crazy!”

            He laughed too. “Good,” he said. “Waiting for Vincent?”

            I nodded. “Yep. He and your father are out somewhere.”

            “Is that so?” he mused. “Did you talk to him about Harvard yet?”

            I nodded again. “Yeah, the night of the graduation, when we came home from the nice dinner. I brought it up when he walked me to my room.”

            Zach seemed surprised by that. “Oh, really? What happened?”

            “We are just going to… be us,” I said, not sure how to explain it. “We are going to go through the summer as though he isn’t leaving. Let the chips fall where they may. We decide where we stand August thirty-first. I have decided that I will not be thinking or talking about it until that day.”

            “So you guys are just going to pretend that he isn’t going anywhere?” he wondered. “I’m not sure that is a good thing.”

            “It doesn’t matter what you think. It is the only way I will be able to completely be myself with him. I’m running my life now—I’m not running anyone else’s for once. This may be a mistake but I will learn from it then. This is my life and I will be living it how I want.”