New Best Friend

I looked down at my class schedule, looking at my next class.

            “What is it?” Zach asked, leaning against the wall.

            “Photography,” I responded, “with Mr. Searcy.”

            “That’s your last class?” he mused. “I think Vincent and Lucas have that class, too. I’m not sure what period though.”

            “Do you know where the class is?”

            “Of course; I’ll walk you there.”

            Zach shoved off the wall, his hands in his pockets. We walked down the hall, Zach leading the way with me trailing slightly behind. He waved a hand or nodded a head at the students we passed; he seemed to know everyone.

            We stopped on the staircase as three girls approached, the two on the end eying me while the third smiled at Zach.

            “Hey, Zach!” the third girl called.

            Zach turned to her and smiled. “Hi, Whitney.”

            “Where are you going off to? don’t we have class together next?” she asked, her eyes flashing to me.

            “We do,” he confirmed, his eyes following hers to me. “I’m showing my friend to her next class.”

            I stopped paying attention to Zach and Whitney when I caught a glimpse of Vincent.

            “Miss Clark,” Vincent greeted, halting in the stairwell. “What class are you going to?”

            I could hear gasps of surprise from the three girls but I ignored them. What did they think of the Andersen brothers? Did they know I was living with them?

            “Photography,” I told him, adjusting the strap on my bag. “You?”

            “Same.”

            “Oh, really?” I looked back at Zach, who was still talking to Whitney. “Want to show me the way?”

            “Sure.”

            “Hey, Zach, thanks for everything, Vincent’s going to take me to class.”

            Zach stopped mid-sentence to give me a hug. “Don’t let the situation with Lucas get you down,” he whispered. “He’s stupid anyway.”

            I smiled, pulling away. “Thanks, Zach.”

            Vincent cleared his throat and I snapped to attention, holding in my smile. Vincent began to walk away and I hurried to keep up.

            “Who is she?” I could hear Whitney ask before we rounded the corner.

            It was a quiet walk to photography with Vincent, though the silence was not awkward. I watched him in my side vision. He wore a black, long-sleeved shirt with blue jeans and unkempt blonde hair. Vincent didn’t seem to wave or acknowledge anyone as we passed, so unlike his youngest brother.

            When we got to the room, Lucas appeared, opening the door. He waited for us to get closer before speaking.

            “So that’s where you ran off to,” Lucas said to Vincent. “Bringing the girl to class.”