Tuesday

“You did what?!” Zach questioned, jumping to a stand. He was shirtless and had been so since dinner. “Why would you accept a date with Michael?”

            I was slightly annoyed. “I didn’t accept a date. I accepted a challenge…. A challenge I lost. In result, I have to go on a date with Michael,” I explained.

            Zach started pacing the room, his hand on his chin. He stopped, looked at me, and then looked away. Zach did this a few times before actually saying anything.

            “Are you going to go?” he asked.

            “I kind of have to,” I told him. “It was a bet—I can’t go back on my word.”

            “No, I don’t suppose you can.” Zach continued pacing. After a few long moments he paused abruptly, turning to me. “You like Michael, huh?”

            I thought about it for a minute. Michael was nice. He was attractive, too, well built and down to earth. He didn’t let me beat him with the videogame either. Were these enough qualities to like someone?

            I shrugged. “No, I barely know him. I barely know any of you!” Zach mumbled something about Caleb and Vincent but I couldn’t quite hear him. “What was that?”

            Zach looked at me innocently. “I didn’t say anything.” He sat down next to me on my bed. “So when is the date?”

            “Tomorrow—if we have time after I get my car.”

            “What are you wearing?”

            I gave Zach a questionable look.

            “What?” he asked defensively. “I’m just trying to be a good friend. Don’t normal girls like to gush about this sort of thing?”

            “You, sir, mistake me for being a normal girl. I will probably just wear some jeans and a blouse.”

            “What are you going to be doing on the date?”

            “Not a clue. Michael won’t tell me.”

            Zach got up and made his way to my dresser and wardrobe. “You can’t look too good. You don’t want to send him the wrong message and lead him on. When was your last boyfriend?”

            “Last? Let’s go with never.”

            Zach stopped right in his tracks, unmoving for a good minute. He turned to me. “Never?”

            I shook my head. “Not a one.”

            “Jazz, you’re seventeen and you’re telling me you have never had a boyfriend?” I nodded. “Geez. Have you ever liked anyone?”

            I thought about it for a moment. Sure I had a crush on Bobby Miller in elementary school, but that was just child’s play. Then there was Andrew Wright, my date for Homecoming; I didn’t really like him though—he was a nice guy, don’t get me wrong, he just wasn’t for me.

            “No, not really. I never really had the time. I had to take care of my mother and myself…. That doesn’t really give you time to daydream about boys.”

            “Are we sure you even like boys?”

            I was taken aback. “Are you calling me a lesbian?”