Learning

I sat on the counter in the kitchen, my knees drawn up close to my chest, thinking over what Zach had told me about all of his brother’s giving up on the idea of me—all of them except for Vincent and Caleb.

            Vincent and Caleb.

            Two brothers, out of seven, who still like me. Two brothers I kissed in the same evening. How did that even happen? What were these feelings? Who was worth it? Would Vincent even go against what, he must know, Lucas thinks?

            Caleb was safe. Caleb had no issues with what other people thought. Caleb was sweet and kind and he talked to me all the time.

            Vincent was—

            That’s when Lilly walked in all in a rush, interrupting my thoughts.

            “Jasmine,” she said, “I have a big favor to ask of you.”

            I jumped off the counter. “What is it?” I asked.

            She was nervous, that was obvious. Lilly wrung her hands together. “I have a doctor’s appointment today and I was wondering if you would go with me—James isn’t here and I don’t want to ask any of the boys….”

            “Of course, I’ll go,” I told her.

            “Go get ready and then we will leave.”

            I nodded and left the kitchen, taking the Main Staircase to the second level of the house. It was Sunday around ten o’clock in the morning and all of the Andersen brothers were home. I walked passed each of their rooms, waving through some of the open doors at the residents inside.

            Coming across Vincent’s open door, I waved, smiling politely at him and Lucas. Vincent waved back, his eyes never once leaving me in the short distance it took to cross the space of his doorframe. Lucas was not pleased. He glared at me like always.

            When I was out of sight, I heard a thud come from the room.

            “What was that for?” Vincent said. Lucas must have knocked his senses back in.

            “You’re so pathetic, Vin—making goo goo eyes at a girl who hardly acknowledges you exist,” Lucas said.

            I could hear Vincent laugh—the first time I have ever heard that. “If only you knew, Luc… if only you knew,” I heard him say before I entered my bathroom.

            I smiled to myself. I heard Vincent laugh. I tried to imagine him smiling—laughing.

            It didn’t work. Lucas kept invading even my thoughts.

            I sighed and made for my room.

            Hanging from one side of my four post bed was my Cinderella costume dress for next week. The play was going to be a hit! Lucas and I worked out our kissing scene to where it is simply a fake, stage-kiss instead of our lips actually meeting. We were happy with the idea, more importantly, Mrs. Robyn was happy with the idea. I admire the blue dress for a moment—it was mine, all mine. James and Lilly bought it especially for me for the play—they bought most of the costumes for the play.

            I moved to my dresser, pulling out a long, slim-fitting, purple shirt with some black leggings. I slipped in to the change of clothes and ran down stairs to see Lilly looking out one of the windows in the living room, waiting for me.