twenty-five

1982

"I'm so nervous, what do I even say? What am I supposed to do?" Corinne paced around nervously as she looked at Scott who shrugged, "I don't know why you're asking me," he muttered, "I've never gotten married before,". Corinne sighed and quickly walked towards him, she grabbed onto his shoulders before reaching for his hair and ruffling her fingers through it. "Can you ask my brother to come here?" she asked quickly, "I need to talk to him," Scott grabbed onto her arm and brought it down, "Only if you stop being annoying," he muttered angrily. 

Corinne laughed and rolled her eyes, "Since when were you so cranky?" she fake frowned, Scott made a face before walking out of the tent. Corinne hummed to herself softly as she fixed her hair, everything had to be perfect. She felt a sudden chill and smiled to herself before turning around to face Carter. "Coco," he said with a grin, "You sure you want to do this? It's never too late to run away," he was wearing a fancy suit and his hair was gelled. Corinne laughed and wrapped him into a hug. 

Carter sighed and pulled away, "You know, I overheard you before, you have nothing to worry about," he said with a sly smile. "Alex really really loves you," he took a coin out of his pocket and sighed before flipping into the air. Corinne stared at him and he nodded before sighing with relief, "I'm glad you found someone, especially considering what happened with Abby," he muttered before patting her head lightly. Corinne frowned and looked away, "It was just some summer fling," she grumbled, "And it was like years ago," 

"Don't get all grumpy like that Corinne," Carter said before rolling his eyes, "I was just saying," he added before looking at her with a small smile. Corinne frowned, "You're the one who mentioned it Carter, I'm getting married today!" she said before cracking a smile, "Shouldn't you be happy for me?" she asked confidently. Carter sighed and patted her shoulder gently before heading out of the tent. 

Suddenly there was music, "That's our queue Coco," Carter muttered, "You know I'll always be happy with whatever choice you make," he said before flipping the coin in the air again and disappearing. Corinne sighed and quickly followed him out of the tent before seeing everyone's eyes on her. She lowered her head and noticed Carter right next her, "Don't be nervous, you look great," he whispered under his breath. Corinne rolled her eyes and caught Alex's gaze, he was smiling, she looked away as she felt her heart racing. She then stopped, "I can't do this," she whispered. 

Carter blinked in shock and quickly looked around, "Corinne, what are you doing?" he hissed quietly, Corinne shook her head and felt her hands shaking. "I'm sorry Carter, I can't- I can't do this right now," she whispered, "I'm not ready, I'm not responsible enough, do you know what happened the last time I had a family?" she asked quickly, "What if something happened? What if I accidentally hurt someone," she muttered. Carter gave her a surprised look and frowned before shaking his head, "Since when did this bother you? Coco, you always had control, what happened before was an accident,"

Corinne frowned and shook her head as Carter's eyes glinted, "Don't worry, they won't hear a thing," he muttered. Corinne nodded and quickly sighed before looking away, she took out the veil on her head and dropped it onto the ground. "Valerie's death, it was my fault Carter," she whispered. "I couldn't stop myself, what if that happens again? What if I really am just a monster?" she asked before looking at her hands. "This ability, what's the use of having it if I-" Carter held onto her hand and frowned. 

"What are you talking about? Why are you saying that? Valerie was sick Corinne, there was nothing you could do about it," Carter said quickly, "Don't blame yourself," he smiled and nodded quickly. Corinne shook her head and sighed, "You don't understand, I could've healed her! I could've done something to-" Carter shook his head and quickly covered her mouth with a finger. "Stop blaming yourself Corinne, it was inevitable, cancer isn't something you could cure in a night," he muttered before flipping a coin in the air. 

She opened her mouth to say something but sighed, she then looked at Carter who stared at her thoughtfully. "Think about it, you're a mutant, if anything it's the humans' fault for not being able to heal her," he said, Corinne blinked and frowned. "Just remember, we're above them," Carter muttered. Corinne nodded and held her breath before nodding quickly, "You're right, okay, I can do this," she said quickly. Carter smiled and patted her back gently, his eyes glinted and suddenly she heard everyone unfreeze. "That's what I like to hear," he whispered.

--

"Do you Corinne Dane take Alexander Summers as your husband?" the pastor asked, Corinne stared at Alex and nodded before grinning. "Yup," she said with a wink, "I do," Corinne watched as Alex's hands were fidgeting. He was nervous too huh? She gave him a certain look and he laughed before looking away. "And do you Alexander Summers take Corinne Dane as your wife?" the pastor continued. Corinne watched as he looked back at her confidently before nodding, "I do," he said quickly. 

She felt Alex grab onto her hands and Corinne smiled, "Alrighty, you may kiss the bride or whatever," the pastor said annoyed. Corinne held in a laugh and quickly got pulled towards Alex. He sighed and stared at her gently before leaning in and kissing her passionately, Corinne wrapped her arms around him and quickly closed her eyes before resting her head on his chest. "I love you," she whispered, "I love you so much," Corinne then opened her eyes and caught Carter's gaze, he looked upset and disappointed. She frowned confused as he nodded and quickly phased away. That was odd. 

"One sec," she whispered before pulling away and walking towards his direction, Corinne noticed as the guests stared at her confused. "I'm sorry, there's something I need to-" she looked around the field and noticed Carter was nowhere to be found. "What's wrong?" she heard Alex say from behind. She frowned and sighed before smiling as she turned to face him, "It's nothing, I thought I saw something here, I guess I was wrong," she said quickly. Corinne brushed past him and he followed her, "I know it's not nothing, I've known you long enough to tell when you're lying," Alex said.

Corinne looked back at him and shook her head, "I'm not lying," she muttered quickly, "I just-" Alex raised his eyebrows and Corinne sighed. "It doesn't matter," she said before walking away, "I'll- we'll- we can talk tonight," she promised. Alex nodded and followed her, he grabbed onto her arm and pulled her close. "I love you," he whispered softly before wrapping his arm around her waist, Corinne smiled. "I know," she said. She looked at the sky and sighed as she stared at the sunset. "You're perfect," she muttered softly before leaning on him, "I love you so much," she heard Alex laugh and she smiled. Everything was fine, she had Alex and he was going to be with her forever. Everything was going to be okay.