Chapter 16 - Rescue Attempt Number Two

When I did return however, all I saw was Toothless trying to climb the borders of the cove like when he first tried to escape.

   "And here I thought he learned his lesson," I thought with a roll of my eyes.

   Landing behind him, I watched as he fell down and onto his back.

   "Back at this again, are you?" I asked.

   "(Y/n)!" he roared, too loudly, and in such a happy and relieved manner that didn't particularly pleased my ears.

   "Yes, that's my name, glad you still remember it."

   "It's Hiccup, you need to help me!"

   I tilted my head.

   "You're asking for my help... to help... your Scaleless friend?" I sat down and licked my shoulder, hoping he'll catch how unhinged he sounded without my help.

   "(Y/n) stop making this difficult, Hiccup is in danger!" Toothless snarled aggressively.

   "And I should care, why?"

   "Because he's your friend!"

   "No." I huffed and fixed him with a cold glare. "That Scaleless is your friend, never mine."

   "Oh, you're so-"

   "What? I am so what?" I stood, snarling and spitting with rage. "Selfish? Self-centered? Egotistic? Cold? Distant? Hopeless? Aggressive? Resentful? I can go on with this list until your Alpha dies."

   "You are some of those things actually, yes- That's not important!" Toothless shook his head and matched my angry stare. "You're being stubborn! Stop holding grudges and help me save the skin of Hiccup. The Scaleless who helped me fly again, just to remind you."

   I huffed, knowing he was right. Again.

   "Fine," I spat. "What trouble did your scrawny friend get himself into this time?"

   "I don't know-"

   "Then how do you want my help-"

   "Just follow his screams and help him, okay? I think he got attacked by a Flameskin (Monstrous Nightmare) and I can't get out of here."

   My eyes widened and I could feel my previously tightened jaw go slack with shock.

   "A Firestarter? In broad daylight?" I thought. "What kind of foolish rouse is this?"

   "(Y/n)? (Y/n)! Stop thinking and go save him!" Toothless snarled in my face.

   "Don't snarl in my face or I'll rip your tongue out," I hissed back. "I'll go and save your little buddy but only because he gives you the ability to fly again."

   "I don't care how you justify your actions, just get to it already!"

   As if Hiccup heard Toothless' ragged, furious roar, he answered with a shrill scream.

   "Fine, fine, don't get your tail in a twist," I crooned and took off into the forest, weaving between the trees, spinning and avoiding collisions narrowly due to my lack of experience when it came to flying through terrain like this.

   It got to a point at one time where I got so agitated by small branches hitting my wings or barely being able to fly that I gave up on it and instead began to sprint towards Hiccup's screams.

   The thing is, Toothless only told me of a single scream.

   And I could clearly hear the other Scaleless he befriended, the female one, scream occasionally too.