Chapter 10 - Back on Track

The next few days or so went by quite quickly for me. Maybe a little too quickly. Toothless had the time of his life with the Scaleless. Trying out weird things and discovering weaknesses about him that even I remembered for my own sake.

   And then there was that time the two crashed into the dirt and had to go into the village.

   Let's just say the Scaleless can now thank his life to Toothless three whole times. And Toothless can thank his alpha that I didn't rip off one of his ears for the sheer amount of stupidity he showed.

   I had to be on edge at all times since the Scaleless returned with new contraptions and weird-smelling stuff for Toothless. I still didn't trust him, and Toothless was behaving with him as if he were family.

   "Disgusting," I thought as I watched the Scaleless fix something onto Toothless's back.

   "What is that?" Toothless asked as he sniffed at the leather.

   I just shook my head at our old routine; him not figuring out the most basic of things and me having to practically feed him the information like a hatchling.

   "You've already had it on you once," I growled from my branch. "Which is exactly one too many times."

   "Really? It doesn't smell like that at all," he crooned.

   "Of course it doesn't," I scoffed. "Have you seen that Scaleless? He comes back with new stuff every time."

   "Maybe it's a new one!" Toothless purred with an excited wag of his broke tail.

   "Why must you sound so excited by a few brown vines and old leather on you? Made by a Scaleless, no less," I snarled. It was like as if Toothless had lost all dignity he had left since that Scaleless made him chase the dot of light on the ground.

   "Because it's helping me fly again," he growled defensively and the squeaking Scaleless patted his neck when he heard the sound.

   I only rolled my eyes and turned away when I saw Toothless obey and stop growling at me.

   "Like some tamed yak," I thought bitterly as I cleaned my scaled.

   A few minutes pass with my ears turning in various directions as they detect rustling from behind and before me. The woods are calm today and the skies are clean, the absolutely perfect time to fly if you're not a black dragon. Flying during the day with dark scales is a death wish.

   "Hey! You coming with us? We're going flying," Toothless called out to me.

   "Flying? Are you out of eels for brains?"

   My rude question only got a raised eyebrow from him. The Scaleless was already sitting on his back, the fixed contraption locking the two of them together until the Scaleless wanted them to separate.

   "Oh, if he fell off I'm gonna give him the ride of his life," I thought silently and growled at the two males. "Fine. But if you get injured, I'm leaving you behind."

   The goofy smile he bore a few seconds later told me that he completely disregarded my threat.

       All three of us took off from the same cliff that first revealed that Toothless – and to my utmost sadness I too – turn into numb yaks when we touch or even smell a certain type of grass. It was embarrassing for Toothless, and almost embarrassing for me too.

   Toothless and the Scaleless took off from the cliff lightly while I shot to the skies and clouds above, wishing to just be free and not have to worry about anything.

   "But as long as he can't fly, I can't leave my only chance," I thought.

   It was a disgusting way to think: that I only stayed by him because he very well be the last one who could help us repopulate the land with our kind. With his pure kind. But what was a lone dragon of a dying kind supposed to do when the opportunity literally fell from the skies for them? Leave it and be stubborn about it? No, it had to be one of the few times when they bowed their head and agreed without question.

   "But nobody told me that such a handsome dragon would possess none of the thinking capability required for surviving," I grumbled under my breath and a little while later joined the two where they glided calmly.

   "Are you ready to see me fly again?" he inquired with a shine in his toxic grass green eyes.

   "Let's see if we can call it flying first," I crooned back with a teasing undertone.

   "Oh it's on," he grumbled back.

   "Don't forget about the Scaleless on your back!" I roared as I sped away, not even bothering to wait for either's reaction.