23. A Hippogriff

They didn't talk much during the remainder of the journey. At long last, the train stopped at Hogsmeade station, and there was a great scramble to get outside; owls hooted, cats meowed, and Neville's pet toad croaked loudly from under his hat. It was freezing; rain was driving down in icy sheets.

The coach smelled faintly of mould and straw. Y/N felt better since the chocolate, and found himself smiling. Hermione kept looking at him sideways.

The door in the Great Hall stood open at the right; Y/N followed the crowd toward it, and looked at the enchanted ceiling, which was black and cloudy tonight, when a voice called, "L/N! Granger! I want to see you both!"

Y/N and Hermione turned around, surprised. Professor McGonagall was calling over the heads of the crowds. She was as stern-looking as ever, with her hair in a tight bun and her sharp eyes framed by her square spectacles. Y/N fought his way over to her with a feeling of foreboding; Professor McGonagall had a way of making anyone feel he must have done something wrong.

"There's no need to look so worried—I just want a word in my office," she told them. "Move along there, Potter, Weasley."

Harry and Ron stared as Professor McGonagall ushered Y/N and Hermione away from the chattering crowd; they accompanied her across the entrance hall, up the marble staircase, and along a corridor.

Once they were in her office, a small room with a large, welcoming fire, Professor McGonagall motioned Y/N and Hermione to sit down. She settled herself behind her desk and opened a drawer. "I approved the course schedule you proposed so you can attend all the classes this year, both of you."

A smile lit up Hermione's face.

Professor McGonagall pulled from the drawer two very long, very fine gold chains. Y/N saw a tiny, sparkling hourglass hanging from it. A Time-Turner.

Before he could say anything, Professor McGonagall handed him one, Hermione the other, and said, "Both of you already read about this, am I wrong?"

"Absolutely not, Professor," Hermione said.

"Very well. Then we can go down to the feast."

Y/N and Hermione, followed by Professor McGonagall, made their way back down the marble staircase to the Great Hall.

It was a sea of pointed black hats; each of the long House tables was lined with students, their faces glimmering by the light of thousands of candles, which were floating over the tables in midair. Professor Flitwick was carrying an ancient hat and a four-legged stool out of the hall.

"Oh," Hermione said softly, "we've missed the Sorting."

Professor McGonagall strode off toward her empty seat at the staff table, and Y/N and Hermione set off, as quietly as possible, toward the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor table. People looked around at them as they passed along the back of the hall.

When he sat, Y/N realised he still had the golden chain of the Time-Turner in his hand. He quickly passed it around his neck and hide it under his shirt.

At that moment, the headmaster stood up to speak. Y/N watched Professor Dumbledore beaming around at the students.

"Welcome!" Dumbledore said, the candlelight shimmering on his beard. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R. J. Lupin who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, professor."

There was some scattered, rather unenthusiastic applause. Professor Lupin looked particularly shabby next to all the other teachers in their best robes.