41. The Yule Ball

Tiny little dragon bit Y/N's index as he shoved his wand down in his pocket. When he got his hand out, he saw her, hanging on his finger.

It was the end of the Charms lesson. The bell would ring any moment.

He put tiny little dragon on his desk and began to organise his pieces of parchment, when Professor Flitwick addressed the class, "I have something to say to you all."

Y/N raised his head attentively.

"The Yule Ball is approaching—a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialise with our foreign guests," Professor Flitwick continued. "Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above—although you may invite a younger student if you wish—"

Someone let out a shrill giggle.

"Dress robes will be worn," Professor Flitwick said, "and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then—"

From the top of his books, Professor Flitwick stared deliberately around the class.

"Don't take the Yule Ball as an excuse to relax the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Ravenclaw student embarrasses the school in any way."

The bell rang, and there was the usual scuffle of activity as everyone packed their bags and swung them onto their shoulders.

Professor Flitwick squeaked above the noise, "L/N—a word, if you please."

Y/N walked up to the teacher's desk, trying at the same time to push dragon back into his pocket, but she hooked his robes with her claws. Professor Flitwick waited until the rest of the class had gone, then said, "L/N, the champions and their partners—dance partners, I mean—traditionally open the ball."

"I—I don't dance," Y/N said.

"Oh yes, you do," Professor Flitwick said firmly. "It is traditional. You are a Hogwarts champion, and you will do what is expected of you as a representative of the school. So make sure you have a partner."

Y/N stared. It was tiny little dragon nibbling his finger that got him back to reality. "Yes," he said faintly.

Y/N had never known so many people to put their names down to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas; as a champion he had been forced to, but it seemed everyone in the fourth year and above stayed. Everyone seemed to be obsessed with the coming ball—or at least all the girls were, and it was amazing how many girls Hogwarts suddenly seemed to hold; Y/N had never quite noticed that before. Girls giggling and whispering in the corridors, girls shrieking with laughter as boys passed them, girls excitedly comparing notes on what they were going to wear on Christmas night. . . .

"Why do they have to move in packs?" Harry asked Y/N and Ron as a dozen or so girls walked past them. "How're you supposed to get one on their own to ask them?"

"Lasso one?" Ron suggested. "Got any idea who you're going to try, Harry?"

Y/N chuckled. "You still need to ask, Ron?"

"Honestly, no." Ron burst out laughing. "Anyway, you two shouldn't have any trouble. You're champions. You've just beaten dragons."

"I think I'd take another dragon right now," Harry grumbled.

The ball kept coming closer. Harry had turned down three girls already—twice out of reflex and once because the girl was a foot taller than him. Ron kept talking about asking someone, but never did. Y/N very carefully hid in the grounds, near the lake or anywhere no one was. Sometimes he went to the library; lucky Madam Pince couldn't stand students who talked about the ball.