Fearing Yourself

I walked alongside Sunny as we watched multiple pairs pass us. I walked by Xavier's workshop and saw him and Varian there. Varian was packing up supplies while Xavier held his finger out checking the wind.

"Hm, a northerly wind is coming."  Xavier said and Stan and Kiera passed by. Kiera was in a wheelbarrow and she stuck her tongue out at me as she passed. I giggled at her antics and waved at her. "Uh, shouldn't you be, I don't know, getting prepared to lose, Milady?" Varian asked and I rolled my eyes. "As if, Sapphires. We both know that I'll make it there before you both. No offense, Xavier." I said and he smiled at me. "None taken. I know how you two are with your little games." He said and I nodded.

"If only there were a way to catch this mighty draft, and use it to our advantage." Xavier said and Varian rushed to cover my ears only for me to grab his hands before he could. "Don't give her ideas! For all we know she's hiding a flying broomstick." Varian said and I rolled my eyes. "That's stereotypical, Sapphs. And the only broom I have sits outside of the cabin to ward off the boo hag." I said and he looked at me confused. "What's the-wait, actually, I really don't wanna know." Varian said and quickly turned towards Xavier.

"Wait! The Saporians use hot air balloons. Uh, I know how to build one!" Varian said determined and I smirked at him. "You might travel by air, but I'll still beat you, Sapphires." I said and it was his turn to smirk towards me. "I highly doubt that, milady. You and Sunny won't even be half way there when we get the treasure." Varian said starting to walk away. "That reminds me of a legend of a mighty balloon. In days of yore, an intrepid traveler ventured into the sky." Xavier started to tell his story and Varian walked back to push him away from where he was standing. "Good luck, milady. You're gonna need it." He said and I rolled my eyes. "Fat chance, love. Let's get going, bubs. We have a bet to win." I said looking down at Sunny and he nodded.

Sunny started walking and I followed him. He took me through alleyways and many turns before we ended up outside the city. I glanced back at the city for a moment before turning back to follow Sunny. "Alright, what's the plan? Slow and steady? Or are we going to find a short cut?" I asked as I caught up so we were walking next to each other. "A little bit of both. We can also mess with the other teams." Sunny said with a smirk his green eyes almost glowing. "That's cheating. And it's mean." I said and he sighed. "You're really no fun. The other teams are even trying to sabotage each other." He said and I saw Ruddiger in a tree holding a bee hive. Max and Pascal were on the path towards Ruddiger and I sighed. "Only if they get in our way. Got it?" Sunny simply purred in response as he trotted ahead of me.

We walked closer to Ruddiger who was still in the tree. We watched how Max passed him and Ruddiger tried to throw a bee hive at him which backfired. He got stung by all of the bees in the hive. "Aw, poor Ruddiger." I said and I heard Sunny scoff. "Serves the fool right." He said and I rolled my eyes. We continued walking until Sunny suddenly stopped.

"What is it?" I asked only for Sunny to take off in a different direction. "H-Hey! Wait up!" I said as I ran after him. "Sunny!" I called out. He only continues running before coming to a complete stop. I saw Pete and Catalina standing near him. "Ahh! Black cat! That means bad luck!" Pete said scared while Catalina rolled her eyes. "It's just Sunny." Catalina said as I approached them. "Hey guys!" I said and Catalina waved while Pete was busy licking something on the ground. I glanced at Sunny to see him sitting at the edge of a cliff. I looked over it and saw practically a river of sap.

"Yep. It's what I was afraid of. What we got here is a good old fashioned Corona sap pond." Pete said and Sunny put his front paws on my legs as he stretched upwards. I picked him up and held him in my arms as I stared out at the sap. "Okay, kid, to cross this, we'll need expert timing, balance, and agility." Pete said as Catalina grabbed a vine next to her. "Now, fortunately, I've got the training-" "Later, Pete!" She said as she ran towards the edge with the vine in hand. She cheered as she swung all the way across the gorge before executing a perfect landing.