12 ∞ The Electric Fence

Day 00002 Mission Nilex

It was fascinating in a way, and the result was to be expected, Gareth mused as he sat behind his desk. Corporations had slowly grown to become international bodies unto themselves. It was only a handful that had achieved such status, but they'd rivaled most countries in economic power. The Corporations moved into food, energy, and manufacturing production. Communication and medical fields soon followed, along with the water rights to the major fresh sources of the world.

And so it was that they grew to insist on international recognition as entities equal to governments. In the name of profits had come the age of technocrats. The Corporations could bankrupt a country that insisted on its sovereignty, overthrow governments and dictators. The wages of a population were dictated by the Corporations. Resources were consumed in a region without thought as profits and supplying the world population took precedent.

Of course, not all regions were equal in reaping the rewards. As an area's resources were depleted, the local population was left to fend for itself. With declining work and wages, an individual could not pay for his basic needs. Those unlucky enough to be company employees were deemed resources themselves, viewed as commodities. And a commodity that could not produce a profit was forced into slave labor as property. If a region's population was deemed too large for the resources of the area, then forced relocations or good old-fashioned depopulation were insisted upon for the good of the Corporation and the world. Horrendous biological agents were used in the name of medical research.

Gradually, the wealth of the world moved to those lucky enough to be board members. These few ruled the world for over a century.

Then a movement started. Learning of the atrocities enacted in the name of efficiency and profit, the people of the world revolted en masse, lashing back with a vengeance. As the resulting conflict destroyed the Corporations' infrastructures, the death toll climbed from famine and disease. In the end, a large portion of the world's population died.

Gareth leaned back and rubbed his eyes. A sadness was trying to taint his heart black. Some of the records had been graphic. He couldn't blame the People for rising up.

He didn't know how long he sat there before he noticed the silence. Shaking off his thoughts, he sat up.

«Canaisis, you're unusually quiet. But I can feel your presence,» he thought.

"It didn't seem a good time for conversation, Captain. You needed time to think," she said, her voice floating through the room, a touch of sadness and concern in her voice. Gareth was surprised she hadn't answered in his mind, but he took it in stride. Canaisis often saw things he didn't, and she had her reasons.

Turning to the empty chair by the door, he imagined her sitting in it and spoke aloud, "It's just that sometimes I wonder if Humanity deserves to survive. We seem to never learn, endlessly repeating the same cycles. I fear there's no hope for us—we're as much of a threat to ourselves as the Universe is."

"Humanity has both a good and bad side." Her voice had taken on a calm tone. "I sometimes think it's that very conflict that drives them to achieve so much. War seems to be inevitable for Humans, but I see it as being similar to a forest fire. The fire destroys and creates possibilities at the same time. Often, it benefits the land in the end. The forest is better off after the fire, no matter how much is destroyed at the time. Humans seem to need war—I wonder if it isn't part of your evolutionary process."

He raised a brow, taking a moment to think about her words. "I can't imagine what it must be like for you, Canaisis, to look upon Humanity the way you can. Do you ever despise us? We must seem so pitiful."