14 ∞ Knocks for Kneel

Day 00002 Mission Nilex

Hangar Bay 4 was huge, easily seven stories tall, and larger in depth and width by several factors. In it were containers and crates of all sorts and sizes, holding numerous items of materials and technology traded for or given by colonies he'd visited.

Many colonies were eager to take advantage of the fact that Canaisis was the fastest ship of Planet Earth Colonies and paid gratefully. It was impossible to know what a Colony might need when they arrived, so Canaisis carried a wide range of diverse products. On the other hand, he and Canaisis really didn't need anything—they were completely self-sufficient. But each Colony had something different to offer for both of them. Although Canaisis was quite happy with exchanging for access to a database, he himself could grow tired of the same beverage after months or years.

The containers in this cargo hangar were laid out in a grid pattern with open ways between, but stacked in a random, disjointed, and haphazard fashion, not at all organized neatly and efficiently Canaisis normally would have. Instead, there were gaps and holes between them, as they rose across aisles and rows almost four stories high, creating a literal maze. They served one purpose this way.

He finished donning his spacesuit, picked up his laser pistol, and slid it into its holster. Then grabbing the laser rifle, he thought to Canaisis, «What would you like to play?»

«Your acrobat skills need sharpening, Captain, so how about 'the twenty-man boarding party'? But one catch: you have to take out ten before you exit the other side.»

«Interesting. Okay, let's do this. And throw in a surprise will you?»

«I can do that, Captain.»

He faced the maze before him. «I'm ready. Kill the gravity.»

Magnetic boots activated, he ran for the maze. Just as he reached a corner, the door behind him opened, and globe drones poured in. Floating in the air, they moved and positioned themselves just as a Human boarding party would.

He killed his boots, took aim, and shot one before kicking off and floating upwards. He caught the edge of a crate and used his mag-gloves to orient himself. Pushing hard, he sailed down the aisle two stories above the floor. This aisle ended in a T, and just as he reached it, his suit whistle started whining loudly. A laser had made him its target. He twisted his body to stop it from dwelling on one spot long enough to penetrate his suit. Hitting the end of the aisle hard, he grunted and, using a hand against a crate to guide him, he kicked off down another aisle.

Ayla had finished power rerouting and was feeding the fish and testing the water. She found the aquariums soothing to work around.

When the hydroponics was up and running, the two systems made for a nice synergy. The fish produced fertilizer, and the plants cleaned the water for the fish. Algae produced both food for the fish—as well as Humans—and oxygen.

For the immediate needs of the colony upon reaching New Jordan, food would be a necessity. It would take time to get the soil prepared and seeded with the trace minerals needed for a healthy crop. They had food to last that long, but having an aquaponics system up and running would be a lifesaver, if something didn't go right.

In addition, the priority Nilex would have would be establishing a base in the asteroid belt for mining. That was where the aquaponics system was really needed. Her people needed to do everything possible to serve the Citizens of Earth. Being able to send back the resources Earth wanted would go a long way toward granting her people the freedom they so desperately yearned for.