Chapter 04

╚»★ 𝕰𝖛𝖊 ★«╝

I could see the woman before me, reddened with anger, her pupils dilating and expanding with barely concealed hatred as her nostrils flared. She seemed to be looking at Adam with anger. But more importantly...she looked exactly like us.

"Adam..." I whispered, tugging his arm. "Who...doesn't she look like us?"

"He would know," the other woman smirked. "Right?"

"What...what are you talking about?" I looked at her fearfully. She had flames breathing her in. Her whole aura screamed danger and yet there was something that she had and we didn't and I couldn't quite place my finger on it.

"Who are you?" I asked, taking her features in. Dangerous woman?

"Shut up, Eve," Adam glared at me and I flinched from his gaze. Both of them looked angry and I had no clue as to what was going on.

"Oh, she's your fucking wife is it?" the woman gritted her teeth, advancing on him. She glanced at me and I looked away.

"Eve..." she drawled out, pulling out her shiny new blade. "I was Adam's first wife. I'm Lilith."

"No you aren't," Adam bellowed, his face turning purple with rage. "You're just scum Lilith, you can never be perfect."

"Perfect like Eve?" Lilith whispered, calm. She was starting to frighten me now. "Eve doesn't know anything, the poor woman."

She snickered and I felt something rise in me but I tried to keep calm as I opened my mouth. "If Adam says you're bad, you must be."

"Oh for god's sake," she rolled her eyes. "I'm just scum because I wanted the same position as your husband, Eve."

Her words were like poison to my skin. "What?"

"I wanted to have equality when we were going to...have sex," she shrugged nonchalantly. "And guess what your fucking husband said?"

I stared between Lilith and my husband, looking for signs of truth as she ravaged on.

"Oh no, you must submit to be, Lilith. That is...god's command," she cackled. "God can go to hell for all I care. I was here first."

"Stop disrupting heaven," Adam warned her as he strode towards her in swift motions and wrapped his fingers around her neck. Lilith started to choke but within moments she was on the ground as Adam screamed, clutching his face.

"You bitch," he whispered, groaning in pain as he looked towards me for help, I presume. I tripped on my feet as I rushed to find any herbs that would soothe the pain.

I saw a blade glimmer in the sunlight just as I turned and felt my breaths turn shallow. Why was this woman here? Did she come to ruin us? Yet...something, something seemed definitely off.

"Stop it, stop it...stop thinking," I whispered as I grabbed some lemongrass and basil leaves in a frenzy. I remembered God's words. The punishment he brought upon us. And above all, how Adam grabbed me and said he was being sympathetic.

I felt tears slide down my cheeks. I was kept in the dark. I was punished harsher than the snake who tempted me.

"You can stay here in Eden," the voice boomed as it glowed brilliantly and I felt more exposed than ever. "But of course, now Adam will have to toil till the sun goes down for food and you will experience childbirth pains if you decide to have a child. And, menstrual pains if you decide not to have children."

What the...how does Adam get less pain? How does everyone...? It's okay, I've been given more than I deserve. I kept saying that to myself; knowing if I said it enough I'd believe it. It would convince me and we'd be okay again. 

I remembered those thoughts ringing in my head as I crushed and mixed the herbs, my vision blurring. I rushed out and saw Adam wiping blood away as Lilith crouched over a stone and sharpened her knife maniacally.

"You're late," he growled. "I could have helped myself, thank you very much."

His eyes penetrated me and I looked away; instead I tried to caress his face but he slapped my hand away.

"Oh leave the poor woman alone," Lilith snapped, standing up. "Honestly, I wanna slit both of your throats, but hey, it can wait."

Poor woman? I was just taking care of my husband.

"Now, you'll tell me," she tilted Adam's face up as she brought the blade close to his jaw and slid it further along his cheek. It drew blood and the two of us screamed. "Where is your god? Most importantly, why haven't you been thrown out?"