Chapter 10

╚»★ 𝕷𝖎𝖑𝖎𝖙 𝖍★«╝

When I finally get there, I expect to see Eve half dead. What I do not expect is Adam and a bunch of...people to lay on the ground, writhing in pain.

I search for Eve and see her on the ground too, as the sky shakes with violent fury.

"Eve!" I scream as she looks at me. "Are you okay?!"

I watch her nod in pain as I abandon my weapon and take her face in my hands. "I'm going to kill Adam."

Eve laughs a gentle laugh, holding my wrist, and I feel an energy buzz at where she touches me.

"I already...took care of that," she points.

I survey around and see vultures and so many different kinds of birds, but I can spot one so clearly. "Is that...a massive shrike?"

She nods again as she leans into my arms. "I called out to them. I thought they wouldn't come...but they did."

"You know birdsong?" I gasp and look at her tired hazel eyes now shining with amusement.

"Yes, I do," she whispers, closing her eyes. "I'd talk to them when Adam hurt me and they were always there for me. I have no idea how they grew so large though."

I think about it. Shrikes are birds that take their prey and shrike them on any pointed surface. These ones looked massive and they were flying all around, impaling Adam and his army on spears they had. 

Eve explains bits of the situation and I want to tell her about what we found, but I know we are running out of time.

Somewhere I hear a distant hiss and I see Adam pointing his fingers at me. "You again!"

"Why yes, me again?" I scowl. "You're going to pay for this."

"I'm already paying, you bitch," he screams as a vulture tears into his neck and bites his flesh off.

I guffaw in amusement as I cradle Eve. "Oh god, shut up, will you?"

A massive shrike lifts him up and takes him away as I watch in wonder.

"Shrikes are usually tiny...but guess these are massive," Eve explains for me. "They take their prey and impale them and well..."

I gasp in horror as I see Adam impaled on one of the huge spears of the slaves. I feel bad the slaves couldn't be saved but I also know that sometimes not everyone can be saved.

I glance back at Eve who's staring at me intensely. "You came for me."

"Yeah, I always have to save you, it seems," I grinned at her.

She snorts and then traces a finger on my face. "You know that's wrong."

I swallow and watch her roam her eyes on my whole face and set on my lips and I laugh nervously. "So, should we..."

"Yes, we should," Eve replies. "I would like to very much kiss you."

I stare at her dumbfounded as I nod and she locks her lips with mine and I close my eyes as I take all of her in, the smell of the garden mixed with her own scent, the blood around us, and pure bliss resting between us. I thread my fingers through her hair as she pulls me in closer and wraps her arms around my neck. She sucks on my lips softly and I smile into it.

"Nice job forgetting me guys," I hear a low hiss and I laugh and break apart.

"What did you say, Cif?" I turn around and look at him slithering towards us. "Where were you all this time?"

"Underground, safe and all," he transforms into a demon and I shake my head.

"Continue your make out session," he gestures towards us. I suddenly remember about Zeki and I look all around. The heavens look the same and nothing seems to be falling apart.

"What will we do now?" Cif asks me.

"I...don't know," I stare at the grey skies as I see the clouds getting closer and closer and my eyes widen. "We have to get out. Now!"

I pull Eve and start running towards the exit, where I see the storm receding but I know the skies and the grounds would split any moment and we need to get out. I almost fall as Cif slithers away but Eve steadies me and we rush out as I see Zeki run towards us, heaving and panting.

"Zeki, get away! This place is going to fall apart!"

The ground splits in two, and the skies thunder loudly as huge chunks of it fall to the ground and the ground cracks a few miles away from us.

No, please, let us make it out, I pray. I don't know to whom, but I do nevertheless.

We almost make it out as I see Cif transform back once he's escaped and I run faster. "Eve, we gotta jump!"

I feel the cracks right between me and Eve and I jump as Eve skids along and I pull her through. The storms disappear and I see the hell collapse in front of our eyes as we heave a sigh of relief.

"You pulled all the knives out?" I ask Zeki, as I hold Eve close.

"Yes," ze reply. "I stuck them into the ground. There's one left, but...I think the heavens might collapse if I do that..."

I nod and look around. The place which had never been my home, and I was permanently saying goodbye to it. I loved watching the whole facade crumble to smithereens but now I had nowhere left to go.

"So...guess we have to leave huh? I quite enjoyed the drama," Cif muses as he takes in Zeki. "And who's this pretty angel?"

Zeki blushes and I laugh. "Ze helped us. Zir name is Zeki."

"Ooh, fancy," Cif grins. "I like it very much."

"Stop tempting zem, Cif," I roll my eyes. "Should we...leave then?"

"I guess," Zeki whispers, shuffling zir feet. "I never liked the place much anyways."

I nod and pull out my sand clock. We need to go back to a time where I wont be ripped apart as I shake it. I watch for the first grain to fall as I grab hold of Eve's and Zeki's hands.

We tumble into the sands of time and I don't know where we would end up, but I do know that I now have people by my side. It brings a small smile to my face as I relax and let time take care of the rest.