Chapter 08

╚»★ 𝕰𝖛𝖊 ★«╝

I walk aimlessly for a long time, further and further into Eden, until I notice that I'm terribly alone. The horizon recedes further and further away and the trees lessen considerably in number. I swallow, sweat dripping down my brow. I try singing to the birds; like I used to do when Adam hurt me and they were my only comfort.

Where are all the animals? The birds, the trees?

I notice the sky greying and my alarm bells ring. The sky is always blue in the heavens and the rains never exist. Everything is perfect and sunny, cherished and beautiful, just like God wants.

I see a tornado coming towards me and my eyes widen. Oh no, oh no, oh no. Why don't I ever get a break?

I know it's coming for me and I remember the storms from before. This time, I don't try to run. If Lilith is working this hard, I can stand this. I ground my legs and close my eyes as I wait for the storm to take me. I know this can't be the end of life.

If I were destined to die, I would be already dead for what I'd already done.

***

When I open my eyes, I see the darkest skies and the filthiest grounds. No, not filthy, it's barren. Acres and acres of barren land stand before me and I suddenly feel so small. The storms seem to have passed. Is this hell?

"Why, hello Eve," a low growl emits from behind me and I turn to see Adam shaking in fury.

"What, what are you doing here?" I gasp.

"What do you think?" he laughs. "Look, you're back where I am."

I back away from him until I hear another sound come from the sky. "Eve, he's your husband. You can't abandon him."

I feel my eyes water and I look around helplessly. "What is this place?"

"We make...people obey here," Adam smirks at me. "Now that you're here, come see heaven's finest aspect."

I don't protest, as I know I'm completely alone. I try humming and whistling.

"You think your birds are here?" he slaps my face and I feel my anger boil but it dies down as I look into him.

"You're...an animal," I cough. "Let me...go."

"You think Lilith will save you? You walked into your own doom here," he kicks me down and I cough as I choke and spit blood. Dragging me by the hair, he pulls me to show what they have. I run my hands on the ground, trying to grip soil and I fail. I find something sharp in its midst and I hold it tight, as it cuts into my palm. Seems like some kinda sharp stone. Or glass.

"Don't try anything, Eve," he warns. "You were always weak."

He pulls me and kicks me toward the place. "See. Look up."

I look up and watch horrified, as rows and rows of half angels, or half demons, stand in unison as they bow towards Adam and then to the skies. "Kneel."

They all kneel in unison, and I can see their arms and legs are marked by fresh cuts but they don't care. "What...what is this place?

"Get up," he says and they all get up. "You all will be sent to earth to be perfect wives else you're gonna have sad, painful deaths here."

They all nod and don't say anything.

"Look at them, Eve," he smirks. "They have nowhere to go. Nowhere to live. They're not angels, nor demons. So we train them to be perfect wives. Unlike you."

"I don't want you," I scowl back at him and I get another kick to my face. I plunge the sharp thing into his feet and the rows of slaves point their weapons at me. I squint harder and see they're not weapons but flaming balls of blue and red fire. I know better to stay away from the blue ones.

"So, what, now you think you're gonna control everyone? Because you couldn't control...her?" I choke as he steps on my back.

"Watch your mouth," he replies.

I stay silent. "Okay. Are you going to kill me?"

Adam ponders this and as he does I whisper my bird song. I want to see them one last time. Softly humming the tunes I call out. I have very little time and I keep switching the songs.

Adam looks at me and lifts me by the hair. "Oh, would you like those birds as one last wish?"

I zip my lips and watch his eyes, eyes that prey on creatures and humans alike. Eyes that have roamed me and torn me apart in one glance. I don't like the million hells that swirl in those brown eyes, yet I keep my gaze steady.

I feel something creep by me but I try not to avert my gaze. I look at him fiercely back, trying to distract him. 

I hear widespread shrieks and watch with mirth as Adam howls and the rows and rows of slaves fall to the ground.

***