twelve

after marcus left i finished cleaning up my room. i don't even know how it gets messy anymore, it just does. i decided to take a nap just because i had been exhausted for the past few days. the thing is, i got like no sleep the night before and took a fat nap. and when i woke up, it was already 5pm. 

shit! i was supposed to be hanging out with marcus. i grabbed my stuff and ran to the bathroom to take a quick shower and get ready. i showered and changed into a cute outfit. i did some makeup up and did my hair.  i don't know why i was rushing so much. it's not like marcus would make a big deal out of it. plus, by the time i got back to my dorm marcus wasn't there so i just packed up a small purse and waited. 

by the time i was done, he was at my door. "hey." i said as i opened the door with a smile, feeling happy to see him. "hey." he said as he smiled back warmly. "sooo, what are we gonna do?"i asked as i walked into the hallway with marcus and locked my dorm. "c'mon, i've got something planned for us." he said as he grabbed my hand and we ran outside. i followed him through the crowds and the lights of downtown. i never realized how pretty it was because i was always focusing on how dirty it was. 

"where are we going?" i asked laughing as i followed him. "just come on!!" he said as he looked back to me for a second. y'know, it felt weird. i finally felt like a normal teenager. not a drug addict, not a mini assassin, a real teenager. having fun with a boy she's so in love with. we walked for a few more minutes and there we were, at the same clock tower where marcus almost committed suicide. the smile on my face faded away and he noticed. 

"hey, what's wrong?" he asked turning to me and putting his hand up to my cheek. "nothing i'm fine it's just, i remember everything with you and my dad." i said quietly as i looked up to the dreadful clock tower. he put his arm around me and we both walked up the stairs to the top of the clock tower. when we got to the top of the clock tower, i found blanket with some snack set out. there were a couple candles and a pretty view of the stars.

"did you do this?" i asked surprised as i looked to marcus with a wide smile. man, i really feel like a teenager now. "yup. with willie, billy, and lex's help." he said with a cute smile. "lex did threaten to kill me if i mess up with you, though." he said as he swallowed a lump in his throat and scratched the back of his neck.

i laughed before we walked closer to the blanket and both sat down. as we sat down, i noticed the view even more. the bright stars, the crescent shaped moon, even the neon lights of city showed. it was beautiful.

"so kennedy, i wanted us to be able to talk tonight. i wanna know more about you and your father and i wanna just talk to you y'know?" marcus said as he ate one of the strawberries. "ok, well as you know my mom died when i was younger due to cancer, so i never really got to meet her. my dad always told me that she was perfect and that i was just like her. me and my dad were like best friends and i loved him. he was always there for me and he was all i needed." i said. he admired me as i spoke and sometimes i would stutter over my words when i caught him looking at me. 

"tell me more." he said in sarcastic romantic tone. i laughed and then continued on. "but then one day me and my dad decided to head out to the gas station and get some slushees for movie night. but some guy needed extra change for gas. my dad was giving him as much as he could but he kept telling him 'gimme it all, gimme it all!' and i didn't know what to do. my dad told me to stay in the car so i couldn't do anything. when my dad didn't give him anything else, the guy pulled out a gun and shot." i sort of started crying but i tried to hold it in. 

"hey, it's alright. i watched my parents die in front of me, i know what you're going through. that boys home put me through a bunch of pedofile bullshit and that was fucked up." he said as he moved closer to me and wrapped his arm around me. "your turn. tell me about the boy's home." i said as i looked to him. "well, long story short, they tortured us. every last one of us. they made us do things we didn't wanna do, it was like hell in real life." marcus said as he looked to the ground and out to the stars as he spoke. i knew it was a hard topic to talk about because he couldn't even keep eye contact.

"but i really didn't kill those kids. i hurt a couple of guards on my way out, but it wasn't me." he said as he finally put his eyes back on me. "i believe you. and i'm sorry you had to go through those things, nobody deserves to go through that." i said as i sort of turned to him so that we were sitting face to face. "yeah. but its fine, i've got you now." he said with a smile before pulling me into a kiss. 

"oh, i almost forgot, i got this for you." marcus said as he pulled a jewelry box from his pocket. "marcus, you didn't have to." i said as he handed the box to me. "c'mon, just open it." he said as he smiled wide. i smiled back to him before opening the jewelry box. when i opened it, i saw a chain with a small teddy bear charm connected to it. "you like it?" marcus asked, sounding eager for a reaction from me. i just smiled as i looked to him. "do you not like it..." he asked a smile faded from his face. "i'll wear it every day." i said before pulling him into another kiss.