Part 4

-- THE NEXT DAY --

Bella POV

When we went down to breakfast the next day everyone was talking about the Chamber and the heir. After breakfast, we went quickly to McGonagall's classroom for transfiguration, something I and Ebony already knew about (since we were werewolves!). 

A/N - I haven't been writing about the werewolf transformations because Bella and Ebony don't remember most of them! (+ they take up a lot of space)

"Today," announced McGonagall, "we will be turning animals into water goblets," She tapped the bird in front of her three times, with the tip of her wand. It transfigured into a beautiful crystal water goblet, "Now, who would like to go first...Mr Weasley?" Ron nodded and tapped his rat three times. The rat turned into a furry goblet with a tail, "You must replace that wand, Mr Weasley," Ron nodded sheepishly, "Miss Lestrange, perhaps you can have more success," Ebony and I looked at each other as if to say 'which one?'

"Bella," clarified McGonagall, "Please try," I took my wand out and tapped the grey rabbit in front of me three times. It transformed into a large stone goblet, "Not perfect but, better than Mr Weasley," she looked back at Ron who smiled slightly. McGonagall turned to see Granger's raised hand, "Yes, Miss Granger?" she asked.

"Professor, I was wondering if you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets?" Granger requested and a hush fell over the class. 

"My subject is Transfiguration, Miss Granger," McGonagall dismissed the girl,

"Yes, Professor. But there seems to be very little written about the Chamber of Secrets. For those of us with a personal interest in the subject, that is... disturbing," Granger swallowed, McGonagall considered Hermione's question for a long moment, then nodded,

"Very well," McGonagall gave in, "You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. Three of the founders co-existed quite harmoniously. One did not. Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed that magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, purebloods. Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. According to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The heir alone would be able to open the Chamber of Secrets and unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic," she explained. 

"Muggle-borns," Hermoine sighed,

"Yes. Naturally, the school has been searched many times for such a chamber. It has never been found," McGonagall assured the class,

"Professor, what exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?" asked Granger. I rolled my eyes but Ebony seemed to not be paying any attention to the history lesson in front of her.

"The Chamber is said to be home to something which the heir of Slytherin alone can control. It is said to be home... to a monster," McGonagall replied. I looked over at Draco who was smiling to himself while listening to McGonagall's tale. McGonagall soon dismissed us all early and most of the Gryffindor's went to the common room but Ebony and I went straight to the Great Hall. When we entered lunch was already set up, as the first Quidditch game of the year was happening that afternoon, so many teachers dismissed their classes early so they could eat before the game. Ebony and I sat opposite Fred and George who were already quickly eating large meat pies.