Chapter Fourteen

Jackson

The wind had a chill to it. If I weren't a werewolf it may have spurred me to pull my jacket closer. Instead, I rubbed my nose. Winter was full force and the ice in the air was burning my sensitive nose this late at night, but Romy wanted something other than hospital food to eat.

I could deny her nothing. She was my wife, my mate, my life. She had just been through one of the most traumatic experiences I could possibly imagine. I was barely holding myself together. I couldn't begin to suppose the pain that she was going through.

So I left the hospital in the middle of this cold, winter night to get Romy some food. She deserved the world served to her. A burger and fries was what she requested though.

I walked into the establishment requested and straight to the counter. There was, of course, no line up at this hour of the night. The bars would be shutting down soon and there would be an influx but I had thankfully managed to avoid it. I ordered her burger and fries and paid for it.

Waiting for the food to be ready, I turned from the counter and bounced lightly from foot to foot. Partly to keep busy and part to warm up a tiny bit. The cold still affected me marginally and the skin on my face was stinging slightly.

There were a few people walking and staggering past the shop window under the street light. Most were bundled up against the cold and hurrying in a scuttle to their warm destinations. One, however, was staggering with little more than a light long sleeved shirt on. He stuck out like a sore thumb to me and my keen eyes focused on him.

There, in front of the shop was a werewolf. Not just any old werewolf either. Gary. I stiffened for a moment before my wolf reared his head. Battling with myself, I hesitated for a moment, only a slight moment, before storming out of the restaurant and right at Gary.

"If it isn't Alpha Merphate," Gary sneered when he saw me approaching him. "I hear congratulations are in order. Your married to a whore and you have a little bastard on the way. That is if it survived the beating we-"

Gary was cut off by my fist planting itself on his face. I growled as Gary tumbled to the ground - my wolf was in control and I relinquished myself to him. He wanted to protect our mate and I had no will to stop him. This was the man that had caused Romy so much pain. This was the man that helped destroyed our child. He was as much of a monster as the man he worked for.

Gary, determined not to look weak, quickly recovered and jumped back onto his feet.

"Is that all you have?" Gary taunted, opening his arms wide like an invitation. "You are going to need a lot more than that when Tony gets a hold of her. He isn't going to let his daughter go that easily. He would rather her be dead than be with you."

"I think that message was received," I whispered threateningly. "Now I have my own message to send to Tony Cardaver."

My fist connected with Gary again and again. My wolf in total control, I shifted. I shifted into my large, black wolf so fast it almost seemed like he exploded from my body. This time I didn't stop.

When I finally came back to my senses the scene before me anguished me. I began to tremble and pulled my shaking, fisted hands from my sides and opened my palms. The red was overwhelming. It looked like I had dipped them into crimson paint cans. In front of me in a mangled, red heap lay what could only be Gary. Gary, Beta of the Cardaver pack.