Chapter Three

Other than the first day of texting to check in, Jackson had been radio silent. I didn't want to text him and interrupt his work if he was busy. I definitely didn't want to call him out of the blue.

No matter how much it was killing me not to hear his voice.

Maybe he was having second thoughts? Maybe he wished that his mate had been less complicated. Maybe he doesn't think that I'm right for his pack. Maybe he hates me, now that he has thought it through.

I couldn't bear running through all of these thoughts. So, instead I immersed myself in pack activities. During the day I would help babysit the pack pups. They were just like any other normal human baby, toddler and child. They didn't start to develop their wolf traits until after puberty.

The first change wouldn't hit them until they were about fifteen or sixteen.

I loved being with the children and the pack ran its own daycare-like system during the day when the others were out in the world working.

When the children were all picked up by their parents, I would volunteer for anything any of the pack members needed help with – whether it be renovations on their house, running an errand or babysitting their children. I immersed myself completely, trying to keep my mind from wandering to my mate. But regardless, my cell phone remained tucked securely in my pocket everyday as a constant reminder; no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't keep my mind off of Jackson every second of everyday.

And that is why I decided to write it all down in my journal. I tucked the journal away at night under a loose floorboard hidden under the foot of my bed. Even still, I did not ever mention his name in case the journal was ever recovered by someone. I needed to get everything off of my chest, to feel like someone was listening to me. I kept track of the questions that I wanted to ask Jackson. What was his favourite colour? What did he do in his spare time? I wanted to know everything and anything there was to know about him.

But I wasn't going to break the telephone silence.

Two weeks later and I had still to receive a call or even a text from Jackson. It made my wonder if maybe he had decided that not being in contact was better for everyone. Which hurt – a lot.

I was at a pack member's house, Lynda, helping her cook and watch her four children. Lynda was having the parents of her mate over later that night for dinner and was trying to cook something special. This had proven to be a difficult task, having four little ones under foot. So, she called me and asked for some help. I was more than happy to speed over and do something with my hands. It certainly beat sulking in my room.

Once I had the little ones settled and a movie playing to distract them for a few minutes (hopefully), I went to help Lynda with my cooking.

"What's wrong, Rosemarie?" She asked as I sat down to start chopping some carrots.

"What do you mean?"

Lynda thought for a moment before sitting down at the table with me.

"You just seem like you have a lot on your mind recently. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Lynda seemed to be the only one who had noticed. My father couldn't be happier that I have decided to take a more active role in the pack. In fact, he has suggested (on more than one occasion) that I get Brendan to come with me on some of my excursions. My father just doesn't understand why I have no interest in Brendan whatsoever.