Chapter Five

Jackson made a call down to Bill and the next thing I knew we had a marvelous tray of breakfast in front of us: bacon, eggs, ham, pancakes, fruit galore. Anything I could possibly want to make breakfast amazing.

"Hopefully the first of many future breakfasts together," said Jackson.

I blushed crimson, my face getting impossibly hotter, thinking about the many breakfasts that I hope we have in the future - and the nights before that.

"Are you okay?" Jackson asked quickly. "Is your fever getting worse?"

"No," I said, bringing my hands up to my face in a futile attempt to cool down my flushed cheeks.

He eyed me for a moment before smirking slightly, realizing it was just a deep blush. He chuckled and dished some more eggs onto my plate.

Despite my fever, I was over the Moon. Jackson asked me how long I could be out until I was missed and I told him (regretfully) that I should be back on my own land by Noon or it would look suspicious, meaning we had less than six more hours together before being ripped apart again.

We spent those hours finishing our breakfasts and getting to know one another as much as possible before he would bite me.

"How old are you?" I asked. "I mean, I should probably know before hand."

"Twenty-five. I already know your age and birthday, considering I crashed your twenty-first birthday party on Halloween."

I smiled at the bittersweet memory.

"Well, at least you aren't an old geezer."

He growls playfully and assaults me with tickles until I can't breathe. Werewolves have longer lives than normal humans which means we age slower (more gracefully, my mother says). Although Jackson looked young he could have been as old as forty. My mother, for instance, certainly doesn't look a day over twenty-five but is already in her fifties.

When our time together starts to dwindle down, I already start to mourn the loss of Jackson in my life. Too soon we would be separated and forced to live apart again. I will pretend that nothing has happened while he fights to have his pack accept me.

We made our way to the ornate bedroom that the suite offered. It was large, it had to be a king sized, and I almost had to jump in order to get on it. My fever had risen noticeably since initially meeting up with Jackson and now it was almost at an unbearable level. My hair was damp with sweat and my kin had a shiny sheen to it.

I had persuaded Jackson to wait to mark me for a few hours so we could use the time to get to know each other better.

Jackson encircled me in his arms and kissed me so tenderly it made me dizzy. He was being gentler than he had been with me before. Before, we had been all passion and stolen kisses and touches. Now, in this bed with my body burning like a furnace we treated me as though I was made of fine china.

I placed my hands on his chest when he kissed down my jawbone and onto my collarbone, his mouth seeking out that sweet spot where he would bite – claiming me as his for the rest of our days. I waited eagerly, exposing my flushed neck to him without hesitation. My body arches into him without my control. He licks and nips and teases for only a few moments before I feel his elongated teeth sink into my neck.

I groan in pain and satisfaction. Stars light up my vision and my body responds likewise. As he begins lapping and healing the bite, the stars fade along with my fever. My body feels refreshed yet drained at the same time as I drift off to sleep.