Chapter Ten - A

"Merry Christmas, Wife." Jackson whispered to me when we woke up the next morning tangled up in sheets.

I felt content and safe. I placed my arms over my head and stretched my satisfied, aching body out.

"Merry Christmas, Husband." I leaned up, bringing the sheet with me and kissed him gently on the lips.

He smiled down at me, at ease. I gave him a lazy smile back and laid back down on the bed, throwing an arm over my face. I didn't want to burst our little bubble of happiness.

"Do we have to go back today?"

"The pack expects us to at least make an appearance," Jackson replied as he ran a hand through my tangled hair.

I nodded and played with the rings on my finger. Soon they would have to come off and I dreaded it. For now, I relished in their weight.

"We don't have to leave right away, we can at least have breakfast first. I called room service a few minutes ago. I think we deserve breakfast in bed."

I nodded again and sighed, turning and laying my head on his chest.

"Jackson, do you know why our packs hate each other? You never told me."

Jackson stiffened slightly beneath me and I turned to look at his face. He was staring at me, his brow furrowed. He took a steadying breath.

"What is it?" I asked, sitting up again to look down at him. "I think I deserve to know. What was so bad that it's impossible for us to be together?"

Jackson sighed and relaxed a little bit. He sat up himself and leaned against the headboard of the bed. He reached out and pulled me to him, kissing the top of my head.

"Our packs used to get along fine, provided we stay off of each other's territory. It was your father who changed all of that for the worse."

I tensed and pulled out of his arms to look at his face.

"What do you mean?"

"Your father, before he met your mother, he was in love with my mother. Or that's what I'm told."

My mouth went agape. My lips moved slightly as I tried to formulate a coherent reply.

"What?"

"They dated for a long time and were convinced they were mates," Jackson continued, obviously as disturbed by the thought of our parents together as I was. "They were both members of the Cardaver pack and he was sure they were going to run it together. Then, at some meeting of the packs your father brought my mother along. That's where she spotted my father – her true mate."

"Oh , no," I said.

I knew the instant draw of mates. I knew that it would have been impossible to fight it. What would that have been like for everyone involved? I briefly felt pity and sadness for my father and what that must have felt like.

The I squashed the empathy I felt for him. He had used that hurt to turn into a monster. I couldn't forgive him for that, for what he was doing to the packs and to Jackson and to me.

"My mother tried to stay with your father, but you know what happens. The withdrawal from each other causes great pain to the female."

I knew. I knew all too well.

"So, your mother and father got together leaving my father alone," I finished.

He nodded grimly.