Chapter Ten - B

As Christmas and Boxing Day flew by, I found myself staring at the calendar more and more.

Less than a week.

I had less than a week left with Jackson and the rest of the pack that I felt I now belonged to. I wouldn't let the sins of the father reflect on the daughter. I refused to be the catalyst that caused so much heartbreak and warfare. A lot of the Merphate and Cardaver packs didn't have fathers or grandfathers because of my own father's selfish pride and jealousy. It wouldn't happen again. Not because of me.

Jackson walked into the kitchen to find me holding a glass of water and glaring at the calendar on the wall.

"I wish you wouldn't do that. Time won't reverse by glaring at the poor calendar," he was trying to be light hearted. I couldn't bear it when my heart felt like it was being weighed down by a one tonne anvil.

I slammed my glass down on the counter, splashing some of the water onto the counter and looked at him.

"We have three days left, Jackson. Three days until I have to go back there!"

He didn't hesitate to come around the counter and pull me into a fierce hug. I grabbed onto his shirt, wrinkling it under my fists as I held onto him for dear life, as if I would be physically ripped from his arms.

"I'm not sending you back with your father," he said softly into my hair. So softly, I almost thought I hadn't heard it.

"What?" I asked, pulling back slightly.

"I'm not sending you back to that pack knowing what they could, what they will, do to you. Your father claimed to have loved my mother and look where that got her – dead! No, I couldn't possibly hand you back over to him, Romy. You're my mate. My whole life is to protect you."

"Your life is your packs'. What about them? What would happen to them?" I reasoned.

He just looked down at me, enflamed. His nostrils flared in anger. I knew that I was talking more to his Alpha Wolf protecting his mate than Jackson, leader of the Merphate Pack.

"I'm not giving you to him! You're my mate, you're my wife!" He harshly shout-whispered.

I put my hand against his cheek. My anger left me as his had flared up. He needed me to be calm to calm him. He needed to listen to reason. Maybe we both needed a healthy dose of that.

"There is nothing we can do. We are leaders. The good of the many will always come before the good of us two."

His eyes darkened and he grabbed my hand from his face, holding it tightly. His cheek flexed as his jaw tightened.

"We leave. I will step down as Alpha and become a rogue. Then, if your father attacks the Merphate Pack it is unprovoked and he will be seen to by the tribunal. We can run around the world if we have to, but I won't sacrifice you for anyone, Romy. You are too important to me."

I closed my eyes and took a long, deep breath.

"You are the best Alpha I have ever known, Jackson. You can't leave these people."

"Will would also be a great Alpha. I trust him with my life."

We wasn't going to let this go. He was convinced to keep me at all costs and I was convinced I wasn't worth it. My life was no more important than anyone else's. Especially not anyone in this wonderful pack. So, instead I said nothing.