Chapter Four

It was nearly ten minutes before I received a response.

Has something happened?

There was so much that I wanted to say now that I had his attention; but, that could all be saved for another time. I waited for a few moments. It took ten minutes for him to text me; he could wait a few for my response so I could formulate it carefully in my head.

We need to meet soon. Somewhere where we won't be out in the open in case one our pack members are around.

I paused a few moments before I hit send. I bit back my pride and pressed the button. This time it only took a few moments for me to get a response.

At sunrise in three days meet me at the edge of your father's territory near the city. I can pick you up there. Be safe.

Long ago the packs had all established that the nearby city was a neutral territory; all of the packs used it equally for shopping and entertainment. It was fortunate for me as well - of the smells of the city would hopefully mask Jackson's scent from my father.

I replied that I would be there and tucked my cell phone away in my bedside table. I resisted texted him back and saying that the situation was dire and he needed to see me tomorrow. He was an alpha to his pack above all else and I respected him for that, I reminded myself. If I had pushed the issue, I am sure he would have come tonight. But again, I didn't want to be that girl.

Besides, I had a week to go. What harm could three days do?

---------------------------------

It had been the longest three days of my life. The next day, the fever began. Only as a slight flush to begin with, just enough to make my pale, freckled cheeks a little rosier than usual and cause me to drink a little more water.

On day two, I was told I was to stay home and rest to get over my "cold" as not to infect any of the children. I didn't argue – I couldn't exactly tell them that what I have isn't contagious. So, I stayed in bed and fell asleep early after setting my cell phone for just before sunrise the next day.

I woke up the next morning to the buzzing of my cell and my body on fire. It felt as though I was in a confection oven. I took a freezing cold shower, which helped only a little and got dressed as quietly as I could. I could tell that my movements were slowed by the fever and my reactions not nearly as swift as they usually are so I was extra careful when I climbed down the trellis outside my window.

I couldn't imagine having to go through four more days of this. It did not surprise me that the other she-wolves went crazy on or by day seven and started having delusions and hallucinations. I could almost feel my brain melting from the heat as is.

I was going to bring my father's motorbike so that it could be easily hidden in the woods, but opted to shift and run instead. I didn't want to risk someone finding the bike and wonder what happened to me. Or possibly wiping out in deliria.

I was careful, my fever slightly subdued with the release of my wolf. Hopefully, someone would think that I was feeling better and out for a run instead of fraternizing with the enemy. When I was satisfied that my trail seemed chaotic enough, I made my way to the edge of the territory.

The edge wouldn't be clearly identifiable to anyone unless you were a werewolf. There was nothing particularly visible to detect it. It was more of a sense, a smell, which notified a wolf that it had entered another's territory – or you were leaving your own. Briefly, I wondered what Jackson would think of a rusty wolf emerging from the woods. Would he recognize me or would he think that I was one of my father's pack members who had discovered him? A twig snapped under my paw.