Chapter 19

Neo stared up at the ceiling, his electric alarm clock providing the only light. Samira and the kids had returned two hours after his argument with Charlie. Thankfully, his ex wife hadn't remained long. He hadn't been in any sort of mood to deal with Samira on top of everything else.

Perhaps sensing his foul mood, Dante and Willow had disappeared upstairs not long after Samira left, both claiming to be tired, though Neo doubted their authenticity. More likely, they were just trying to avoid him until he'd calmed down.

His phone buzzed, and he contemplated ignoring it, but his better side won out.

'What the hell do you want now, Barry?' he snapped.

'Need a lift,' Barry slurred.

Neo ground his teeth together. 'You live in Shrewsbury I'm sure you can get yourself home.'

'No, 'snot for me. For Charlie.'

That gained Neo's attention. He sat up in bed and threw the covers off himself.

'What do you mean "for Charlie"?'

Barry giggled on the other end of the phone, and Neo sighed. It didn't take many drinks for Barry to become completely incomprehensible, and it looked like he'd already passed that limit a few drinks before he'd called Neo.

'We're at Travis'. Charlie sings real good, Neo. I can't believe you shouted at her. That was a dick move, man,' Barry rambled.

'Okay, stay there. I'll come and pick her up.' Neo would have rather not faced her for a few days, but it appeared fate didn't want to cut him a break.

Barry burped on the other end of the line. 'Sure thing, Chief. Besides, I'm on karaoke next. Ta ta.'

For a few seconds, Neo just stared at his blank screen, hearing the call cut out. How did he keep getting himself into these situations?

Throwing on his clothes, he scribbled a note to his kids and left the house.

The streets were quiet. Given the early hour, he wasn't surprised. He made it to Shrewsbury in under twenty minutes, parking in the cramped car park behind the notorious local known as Travis'.

It was a squat little building, its sides bulged out as if it could no longer contain the revelry that went on inside. A lone man stood just outside of the porch with a cigarette between his lips, watching as Neo left his car. The man checked his watch and smiled up at Neo.

'Just how many speed limits did you break to get here so fast?' Colin smirked.

Neo shook the CSI's hand. 'Didn't expect to see you here?'

Colin held out his packet of cigarettes, and despite his cravings, Neo shook them away. Shrugging, Colin placed the packet back in his pocket and blew out a large cloud of smoke.