Chapter 34

'Quick search and back, aye?' Gwilt snorted. 'You're a bloody liar, Boss.'

'Things got out of hand,' reasoned Neo.

Gwilt stared at him whilst they sat in the hospital waiting room.

'I'm sure they did,' he said and rolled his eyes. 'You're going to make me grey before my time.'

'DCI Denzel, DS Gwilt.' A trim doctor interrupted them, his long hair tied back in a tight ponytail. 'My name is Dr Chester.'

Neo and Gwilt each shook his offered hand.

'How are Emma and Danny?' Neo asked.

'They're doing well. Both are a little malnourished and dehydrated. We suspect the little boy, Danny, has pneumonia, so we've started a course of antibiotics that should clear it up. We're keeping both of them in for observation. One of our psychologists is with Emma right now.'

'Good,' Neo said. 'She'll need someone to help her get over this.'

'Mr Bennett is awake. I understand you wish to speak with him?' Dr Chester began walking down the hallway, Neo and Gwilt falling into step beside him.

'Only if he's able to speak with us,' Gwilt clarified.

'He's suffered lacerations to his face, hands, and stomach. There's also severe bruising over his torso and he has a cracked rip. But he's responding well to treatment. Keep your questioning short and concise. The drugs that Mrs Bennett gave him will take time to work through his system. He's been through a lot and is still quite shaken,' Dr Chester warned.

The doctor held the door open for them and Gwilt and Neo entered Harry Bennett's hospital room.

Neo had to admit, even only to himself, that Harry Bennett looked worse than he remembered. The poor lighting in the tunnel had hid most of his obvious injuries, but now in the unforgiving daylight, everything was on show.

Neo could see the knife wounds littering his face. Slashes of raised skin cast shadows over the rest of his face. Jane seemed to have taken great delight in making sure her husband would never forget her.

'Mr Bennett? I'm DCI Denzel. This is DS Gwilt. We're here to ask you a few questions.'

'I've been expecting you.' He turned his head so he could stare at them. 'But first, can you tell me where my wife is? I need to know you've locked her up after what she's done,' Harry Bennett spat.

Gwilt and Neo shared a look as they both took a seat.

'Mr Bennett, are you aware that your wife has suffered from the mental health condition schizophrenia since she was a teenager?'

Harry Bennett's mouth popped open. 'N-no,' he stuttered in shock.

'Your wife has been self medicating for several years but it appears eight months ago, she stopped,' Neo said, thinking about the information Charlie had shared with him as he'd helped her out of the tunnel.