Chapter 20

Willow crept downstairs, but the sound of her Dad's snoring coming from the living room made her halt. The scuffling in the kitchen continued, even though she knew her brother was still asleep and obviously so was her dad.

As she tiptoed passed the coat hanger, she picked up an umbrella. As a weapon to use against an intruder; it was a weak one, but for the moment it was the best she could come up with, so she was going to stick with it, no matter how ridiculous she looked.

She raised it high as she headed into the kitchen, ready to strike should she have to.

Charlie's head lifted when she spotted Willow and she stifled a laugh at the determined look on the girl's face.

'Looks like you're about ready to go into battle.'

Willow froze, her heart hammering so much she almost dropped her weapon. Her eyes searched the room until she saw Charlie's head just above the countertop.

'Oh, it's you.' Willow went to lower the umbrella but stopped. 'Wait, what are you doing here?'

'It's okay, you can drop the umbrella. I'm just looking for ingredients for pancakes,' Charlie responded, going back to digging around in the Denzel family's cupboards.

Willow placed her makeshift weapon against the wall and sat. 'I mean, why are you here in the first place? No offence, but I don't think you'd just come to make us pancakes.'

Charlie stood and dusted off her leather trousers. She would have loved to have a change of clothes, especially after how she'd behaved the night before. But it felt like a suitable punishment. A walk of shame, a little different from the ones she was used to.

'It's a bit of a long story, kid,' she admitted.

'I've got time.'

Charlie smirked at Willow's persistence. Even at 5.30 am, the girl was on it.

'We need ingredients for pancakes and since the shop won't open for another hour and a half, we'll have to go to my place.'

Willow groaned. 'Why are you so obsessed with making pancakes?'

'Because pancakes are how I deal with my hangovers.' Charlie chuckled. 'Now dress warm, it'll still be cold out this early and I don't have a car.'

Willow's face flashed to Charlie's as she tried to figure out all the puzzle pieces.

'Okay,' she said reluctantly, knowing this would be the only way she'd find out what had happened.

Ten minutes later, they were walking out in the brisk morning. Charlie had had to borrow a coat of Neo's to keep out the morning air. Her halter top, whilst gorgeous for getting drunk in, was not suited for a casual walk so early in the morning. Even her choice of footwear made her wonder whether their journey was worth it, but no matter what, she still needed pancakes.