Chapter 24

'I'm sorry, Boss, but we're drawing a loss on the maps. We've contacted the archives in Shrewsbury, but the manager is away and won't be back till Monday and most of the local libraries were too understaffed to check. Apparently they're struggling to get volunteers to work a Friday,' Gwilt said.

Neo shook his head, disappointment sinking through his stomach.

'Put it on the chase pile for Monday. We need those maps, Gwilt. Otherwise, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

'We'll keep trying.'

'I know. Let me know if you find anything.'

Neo hung up, feeling guilty. He knew he was riding his team hard, but there was nothing else he could do. Frustration was eating him up. It felt like every step they took; they were taking two steps backwards.

'That didn't sound like good news.' Charlie passed a fresh cup of coffee to Neo whilst she sat on the settee next to him.

It was unusual to have someone in her rental cottage, but she found she rather enjoyed having him in her space. It was less cramped than she'd been expecting.

Neo cursed and ran a hand through his hair. 'It wasn't. They can't get hold of the maps until Monday.'

Charlie took a sharp intake of breath. 'That's three more nights, Neo.'

'I know, I know. We don't have the extra time.' He rose and started pacing the room.

'It will be a miracle if we find them alive now, never mind after another three nights.' Neo looked at her sharply and she held up her hands in surrender. 'We have to be realistic. The longer they're left exposed the slimmer the chances.'

Neo wanted to argue, but it was the sad truth. The longer people were missing; the higher the chance of them being found dead. He didn't want to look up the facts because he knew they would not be great reading for this case.

'We need a bloody map that's worth a damn,' Neo growled.

'But if we can't get one from the archive or public libraries, where the hell are we supposed to get one from? There aren't any museums on local history in or around Marton. I know, I've scoured the internet for one,' Charlie admitted.

The mug almost slipped from Neo's grasp as he shot to his feet.

'I think I have an idea.' He grabbed her hand, only pausing so that she could put her own drink down.

Charlie settled into the passenger seat of Neo's car, watching as he raced towards town.

'And this idea is?' she questioned him.

Neo tapped on the steering wheel as he overtook a slow-moving tractor.

'You said that Sebastien Felton built Felton Manor and half the town. Do you think that would include the Sailor's mate?'