Chapter 31

'The first thing I'm going to do is have a shower. Those bedrolls just make my skin crawl.' Charlie shuddered whilst Trap laughed at her.

'Just be grateful that that Palmer woman sleeps or else you'd still be in the cell. She was relentless when it came to keeping you there,' Trap grumbled. 'Had to pull in some of your favours to spring you.'

Charlie cursed. 'Who'd you call? And what do I owe them now?'

'I'm sure they'll have all left their messages by now,' Trap teased whilst Charlie groaned.

'You're making me miss my cosy prison cell,' she huffed.

'With all those scratchy blankets and funky toilets? Somehow I think not,' mocked Trap.

Charlie declined to comment as they pulled into Neo's driveway, knowing that Trap was a hundred percent right. She didn't care how many favours she owed; she was just grateful to be out.

'I promised the DCI that I'd bring you back here. Besides, I was the one that was up all night bargaining for your release, so I deserve some shut eye,' said Trap.

Charlie patted his shoulder before they headed to the door and Trap withdrew the key Neo had already given him.

The sound of quick feet greeted Charlie as she stepped through the door and Dante's and Willow's heads poked over the banister.

'Charlie!' they chorused before running down the stairs to greet her properly.

'Hey you two. Missed me much?' she teased when she could finally extract herself from their arms.

'Trap wasn't sure he could get you out before the 24 hours were up?' Willow frowned, looking at Trap.

'We got lucky. Now someone point me toward a bed.' Trap yawned as he sauntered passed and followed Dante upstairs.

'Where is your dad?' Charlie couldn't hide the note of disappointment in her voice at Neo not being there.

Willow shrugged. 'He left over an hour ago but he didn't say where.'

Charlie nudged Willow towards the stairs. 'Go head back to bed, you all look dead on your feet.'

'Considering you spent the night in a detention cell, you seem far too refreshed.' Willow narrowed her eyes whilst Charlie chuckled at her.

'There's not much else you can do in a cell other than sleep,' she reminded her. 'I'll give Neo a call and let him know I'm out.'

'Your phone and laptop are in the kitchen. Some's been calling repeatedly since last night but every time dad answers they hang up,' Willow replied, already dragging her tired body back upstairs.

Charlie's face dropped into a frown as she headed towards the kitchen. She dialed Neo's number whilst also flicking through her missed messages. Most were from contacts Trap had been in touch with, one from her parents, and multiple calls from the same unknown number.