Chapter 17

•Giovanni•

Mayor Alcott stops us on our way to our table so we speak for a moment. She talks more about Governor Warren than anything else. Nolani gives her a dimpled smile and I think the old woman actually falls a little in love with her. I didn't realize she could act so well, play the part of the picture perfect model so easily. She's so good at it if I were someone different, someone who wasn't constantly looking closely at every facial expression you make, I'd fall for the act too. They melt under her dark gaze and grow mesmerized when she smiles. It's not surprising she's a model.

Mayor Alcott excuses herself and walks off to chat with another group of people.

Nolani faces me and her nose crinkles slightly. "Ugh, that woman is a snake. Did you hear her talk about Governor Warren? Was it just me or was she skating around the fact that they're having an affair?"

I arch an eyebrow at her but don't reply. She's not wrong.

Her mouth falls open and she quickly gathers her facial expression before anyone notices. "But Governor Warrens wife is pregnant and Mayor Alcott is ancient!" She hisses quietly.

I give her a shrug and she huffs. Not my relationship so it's not my business. Whatever they have going on behind closed doors isn't even a blip on my radar.

My arm finds its way back around Nolani's waist as I guide her to the table and we take a seat quickly before anyone else can approach us.

"I'm starving." Nolani complains to Alessia.

I glance down at my watch. "They should be serving dinner soon."

"Thank god." She mutters and glances around the room.

Her spine stiffens as her eyes find her ex and I purse my lips, bitting back a demand for her not to make a scene. She had been civil when her ex talked to her earlier which was shocking especially after clearly being surprised by seeing him with his new companion, that doesn't mean she'll stay calm the entire night. Her ex can't keep his eyes to himself, they've been glued to her since we walked in. He tried to play it off like he was surprised to see her but my sweep of the room when we stepped over the threshold proved otherwise. He spotted her the minute we came through the door.

I lied when I acted like I didn't know who he was, I wanted to see if she knew the Jameson's and the fact that they've  been on our payroll since as far back as I can remember. Clint, her ex, is a paralegal for William Jameson. The Jameson's have kept the DeLuca's out of prison more times than I could count. When our fed connections fail he would swoop in and get the case thrown out. The hefty rate we pay him more than makes up for the illegal shit he's done for us. Clint also knows who I am, I could see the numerous questions his eyes held when he saw Nolani's engagement ring. Lucky for him he didn't voice any of them, it would put him in a dangerous place if he did and I'm sure he's well aware of that fact but just in case he isn't I'm going to have a little chat with him.

Nolani's eyes leave Clint's as Alessia asks her a question and Clint exits the room. I lean into Nolani's ear and tell her I'll be right back before nodding to Riot and rising from the table. My eyes meet Matteo's, I discreetly jerk my head toward Nolani and he gives me a short nod in understanding. Riot flanks my side as we exit the room and walk toward the restrooms near the end of the hall.

"Can I fuck him up?" Riot asks. "I'm itching to get a little bloody today."

I'd say that's everyday for him. There's a reason we call him Riot.

I shake my head. "No, we're just gonna make sure he doesn't run his mouth to Nolani."

Riot grumbles unhappily at the lack of violence my plan offers.