Chapter 7

•Nolani•

Did... did he just say... twins? Twins as in two babies instead of one?

"Um... what?" I ask, suddenly feeling lightheaded as I stare at the two small white blobs on the ultrasound picture.

"Baby A and baby B." He points to each blob with a smile like he hasn't just given me the shock of the century.

Two babies. Oh my god.

I blink down at the image, the two little blobs burning themselves into my retinas just as the positive pregnancy tests had.

"I'm pregnant with t-twins?" I question in complete disbelief.

I can't be pregnant with twins! Here I was thinking one baby would be too much for me and now I'm getting two. Two babies! Oh god, I think I may pass out.

"You are." Dr. Gellar confirms. "Before I dive into your family medical history do you have any questions?"

Before I can even open my mouth Giovanni jumps in. "Yes, how soon can we have a paternity test completed?"

I gape at him, my eyes finally meeting his for the first time since I stepped inside the room. The nerve of this man. I find out I'm having twins and that's the first thing he asks. My eyes flick back to Dr. Gellar's hoping it's doable, I'd love to get this issue out of the way as soon as possible then he won't be able to call himself the alleged uncle.

"Doing a prenatal paternity test on twins isn't possible since there is free-floating DNA from both fetuses in the mother's bloodstream and current technology does not permit the lab to isolate each fetus's profile separately, but one can be done after their birth of course." Dr. Gellar explains.

I glance back over at Giovanni to gage his reaction but he doesn't have one. He's just sitting there, no emotion on his face whatsoever but I know inside his head he's annoyed because it's all he cares about. Why would I lie about this? Rafael is dead and I have more money than I know what to do with, what would be the benefit? I just don't understand.

"We will discuss it further another time. I'm not sure if you deal with this but my brother, the alleged father whom is now deceased, had a vasectomy which is why I'm questioning paternity. It's impossible, correct?" Giovanni asks.

I could seriously stab him right now. There's a shiny set of scissors sitting on Dr. Gellar's table that look oh so tempting to be impaled in his amber eye.

"As long as he went to his follow up appointment after the vasectomy to give a sample ensuring the procedure took and that there were no errors, then yes it would be impossible but if he didn't the procedure may not have been successful." Dr. Gellar explains.

Again no emotion on Giovanni's face as he nods. "Understood."

"Looks like you're measuring 9 weeks and two days which is accurate going by your last period. That puts your due date as March twenty-first. Your conception date would've been anywhere from July twenty-first to July twenty-seventh, if that helps with the paternity question." Dr Gellar states looking at Giovanni during the last part.

We both fill Dr. Gellar in on the medical history questions, Giovanni reluctantly of course. Then a nurse came in and drew a few vials of blood for some tests to be ran. Dr. Gellar gives me a bottle of prenatal vitamins and I'm all set until the next appointment in a few weeks.

Once Angelo, Giovanni, and I exit the building G's fingers grip my arm halting me. I see Angelo's jaw clench out of the corner of my eye as I remove the appendage from my body.