Bandits

Jack POV

The bandits strike once again.

They steal our food, take massive amounts of water from our well and it takes a few days to return.

Our gold too.

The chief of the village does nothing. We've sent requests to King Kirito asking for help with our issues, but he has sent no troops to help defend our village.

We never had much security anyways, being hours away from the nearest small town, we were almost isolated with almost no infrastructure to get to main cities...we were defenceless with only 2 soldiers stationed here.

"This King of ours is a hoax!" My sister rants

"Yea, I think all the townspeople feel that way," I say as she nods her head furiously.

My sister was four years older than I was. Her short red hair and her red eyes made a lot of people think she was the devil due to her blood-red features.

But under her obvious features. She was a cute girl with a round face and an attractive slim figure.

I had been more fortunate to have red hair but brown eyes. I don't really remember my parents very well.

I know my Mom had my sister's appearance and my dad was a big man with hard hands and black hair. They died when I was only 6, we inherited the house and my sister pretty much raised me the rest of my life.

I'm 16 now, and I started working to become a Swordsman and help guard the village from the bandits.

They started attacking us a little over 2 years ago. Our economic system has only taken a nosedive from there.

"I'm sure the King is much better than the chief," she goes on.

"Yeah, I hear King Kirito has more ambitions than just wealth," I say as she shakes her head

"If I had the chance to be chief, the village would improve instantly. Instead, we are in a state of crisis, and the bandits are starting to kill people. I heard that Jim's daughter was taken...we found her in the woods dead," she says as I frown.

Jim's daughter was Caitlyn. I remember playing with her when I was 10, I had liked the girl. She was sweet and caring toward me, I liked her...when I heard she had been killed...well it made me want to take up swordsmanship even more.

"Jack, promise me this, if the bandits try to break into our house, you hide somewhere...don't try to fight back, ok?" She asks

"Yea, sure Kaila," I mutter as she smiles

"Good, it's getting darker out, we should go to sleep. The chief is finally taking action tomorrow. He called for a town meeting in the morning," she says as I nod

"Night sis," I say as I go into the room.

Little did I know...that night would change the fate of the village.

Kaila POV

I awoke when I heard rumbling inside the house at midnight.

Is Jack grabbing another midnight snack! I told him, he shouldn't be eating at this time of night. If he was hungry he shoulda had more dinner. I get out of my bed and open the door

"Jack, get back to bed," I say as I walk to the noise.

When I turned the corner, it wasn't Jack...it was a man with his face covered.