The Aftermath

Cradling a warm cup of ginger tea in my hands, I tried to find comfort in its warmth as I curled up on the couch. A tear rolled down my cheek, and I quickly grabbed a crumpled tissue from my lap to wipe it away. I was still trying to accept that Corrine was gone. And Jess was taking it really hard, but who could blame her? Corrine was her cousin and best friend. It was only natural for Jess to grieve her.

The good times we had with Corrine constantly surged through my mind. Those memories hit me like a punch to the gut, tearing me up inside. Before I knew it, my face was soaked with tears, flowing like a faucet that wouldn't turn off; they streamed consistently down my face. I sniffled and blew my nose into the tissue, feeling utterly overwhelmed by the sadness that invaded my entire being.

Charles walked toward me while holding a gray throw blanket in his hand.

He sat down next to me, caressing my knee.

"Babe, you're going to be okay," he assured me as he placed the blanket over my shoulders, wrapping it around me, and kissed my forehead, comforting me.

I was a lucky woman to have found a man as wholesome as Charles.

Knock! Knock!

I jumped, startled by the knock at the door. My eyes widened. Charles rubbed my back soothingly and peered into my eyes.

"Babe, it's ok." He reassured. "I bet that's just Officer Singh."

Charles got up from the couch and walked over to the front door. He unlocked the top and bottom locks, then twisted the doorknob, opening up the door. I peeked out through the door as I sat on the couch. I saw the leaves of the green plants that I put out on our porch a few weeks ago near our front steps. They were slowly dying. Their leaves were low and shriveled from the recent summer's heat. I hadn't watered them in a few days. I was feeling so depressed I couldn't bring myself to do much. Thank goodness for Charles, though. He took it upon himself to do most of the household chores except watering and tending to the plants.

Charles opened the door wider, inviting whoever was on the porch inside our house. I saw two men in black boots stepping into the entryway of our apartment. They had black and gold uniforms with a patch on each of their shoulders that read 'Galveston Police Department'.

"She's in here. Follow me," I heard Charles say, welcoming the officers into our home. I watched from the couch as they made their way inside.

Charles led them over to me as I sat despairingly on the couch, tight-knuckling the ratty ball of Kleenex in my hand out of sheer nervousness.

"Hi, Olivia. I'm Officer Singh with the Galveston Police Department." Officer Singh was tall and bulky. It appeared he spent most of his free time in the gym.

"And I'm Officer Perez." the thin officer introduced himself. He held a metal clipboard in his left  hand, hanging on the side of him," I'm also with the Galveston  Police Department." He didn't display any emotion. He was stoic.

"Nice to meet you all," I said solemnly.

Officer Singh extended his hand out to me. I shook it.

"I understand what you've been through has been traumatic." Officer Singh said with his head slightly bent in grief.

"Have you seen a therapist?"He added.

I shook my head no.

Officer Perez removed the blue pen from his shirt pocket and began writing on his clipboard.

"How are you holding up?" Officer Singh then asked.

"I'm doing the best I can," I replied. I brought the teacup up to my lips and took a sip.